Login Register
 °

Discussion

“There is news that Swansea City FC has directly and indirectly generated £58,000,000 for the city. Instead of debating on the ins and outs of this cash generation, I wanted to create a thread that gives a more positive outlook for our city so how would you like Swansea to exploit this increased exposure and cash in even more?

I have my own ideas and I am sure plenty here have their own, who knows, perhaps the council might even take some of your ideas on board and approach companies (instead of waiting for them to come calling) to explore the plausibility of some of the better suggestions.

I am ofcourse happy to start off where I hope Swansea can go.... our city could begin exploiting our seafront for entertainment and events.

I would like to see surfing events as we have some great beaches that can host competitions, and also I would like to see tourism take advantage of Jet Ski facilities that can be set up here. These are activities that could happen all year around and makes use of our natural surroundings, these are activities which are not exploited enough in the United Kingdom so that is a niche we are in place to fill.

I would also like to see an annual beach race event, contrary to popular belief amongst opposition politicians looking to score political points, motor beach races do not harm the beaches... because ruts are filled in on the next tide. Yarmouth has held one every year for decades and amazingly the beach is still there, but here in Swansea we have something Yarmouth does not... a far more challenging terrain and better infrastructure to support a bigger event.

We have miles of dunes and a bleeding big 6 mile beach to finish off as a grand finally sprint to attract the worlds best off-road sportsmen and sportswomen.

What would you like to see come to Swansea that we can advertise and exploit now Swansea is on the world's map?”

By Philosoraptor Posted: January 03, 2013

6 comments

6 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • abertawejack  |  January 04 2013, 2:34PM

What is mean't by the £58m generated through various outlets, is accrued by all businesses and not just for Swansea City council as a whole. We should by rights get some income off the Severn bridges, (tolls have just risen once again) as we bring in substantial fans along with tourism to Wales's second City, thanks to premiership football,though no doubt, surrounding area's will generate some of this outfall. Swansea City has a lot to offer, but if small minded people are running a city well, villagism thinkers is all we'll get, Car-parks, pound shops, charity shops, Pawn brokers, Tesco express, higher purchase (on the never never) outlets. need I go on.

• GSVale  |  January 04 2013, 2:58PM

It has always baffled me why Swansea dosent do something with the beach, it must be only seaside City that dosent have any "To the Beach" signs. I have met plenty of people who never realized Swansea had a beach, they all know about the Gower and Mumbles but thought Swansea only had Docks. The council have spent Millions on the Bus and Train stations, surely they could have spent a little on something as simple as toilets for the Beach. With the University situated almost on the beach I'm sure a company looking to promote themselves to the younger generation, someone like Vodafone for example would gladly sponsor something for beach as long as they could fly a few flags or something. I have travelled all over the UK and have been to places that have a little scrap of sand or a bunch of pebbles but they promote the hell out of it and really benefit the local economy. Swansea has a huge sandy beach which is nice and clean BUT there is nothing else there, no toilets, no where to buy an ice-cream or even a bucket and spade lol I agree with you Philosoraptor, the beach would be a perfect place to hold a wide variety of events, I cant see why the council don't jump at the chance.

• tujags  |  January 04 2013, 6:03PM

All our Council seem to do is remove interesting landmarks or leave them derelict Slip Bridge for instance & yes the Beach would seem not to exist in the mind of the council. It was once the most popular feature of our City just look at any old postcards the beach is crowded with bathers. Now if you drive along the road the beach is hidden behind a wall & nothing indicate that it is there at all. Even if you know it is there where can you park your car to visit it? Nowhere between The Council offices & the Slip Bridge Yellow line s & Clearways rule. Any car parks we do have are expensive even in the Winter! Other seaside towns charge much lower rates for parking 20p per hour or less is common. It is amazing the people bother to visit us at all & no thanks to the Council that they do!

• tujags  |  January 04 2013, 6:05PM

Well I did submit a 1/2 page of comment & it was refused for some reason & I'm not typing it all again!

• tujags  |  January 04 2013, 6:05PM

Well I did submit a 1/2 page of comment & it was refused for some reason & I'm not typing it all again!

• Philosoraptor  |  January 05 2013, 3:47PM

We had the astronomy observatory and that had the second largest telescope of it's type anywhere on this planet, but the Council got rid of it when they took over from the Swansea Astronomical Society. They could put that back and like said by others, sign post it along with the beach!

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!