Login Register

Discussion

“From Vetch the Gnome:-

Right, let's not mess around... If we win at Wembley, close Swansea down for the Monday, get all the schools shut, any non-essential services closed down and make the Sunday night the best party that Swansea has ever seen. None of this hungover open top bus on a Monday teatime nonsense, lets get right on it, get the bars open all night, flags, scarves and black and white everywhere!

The bridge crossing was brilliant on the way home 2 years ago, but lets get it going in our city, for our fans, for the whole night long!!!”

By GeraldtheJack Posted: January 25, 2013

4 comments

4 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • Philosoraptor  |  January 28 2013, 9:31AM

And who will pay all the workers compensation? The council? Don't bet on it. The Swans? Even Premier League cash cannot get close to this cost. The WAG? They wouldn't make a special case for us, nor could they afford it. You? Of course not. I have booked the day off, that way I get paid to recover from my hangover. An if you hadn't noticed, there will be lots of people looking forward to going to work to talk about the game if Swansea wins the Cup.

• GeraldtheJack  |  January 28 2013, 1:21PM

Compensation??? Could we not treat it as another bank holiday as this could be the Cherry on our Centenary cake? Glad you have the day off, as I'd imagine thousands would like to join us in having to wear sunglasses to open the fridge in the morning. We'll be talking about it for weeks, not 86 years like that lot up the road! Cllr David Phillips, Swansea Council Leader, said: "The Swans deserve enormous credit for what they've achieved. Their success means millions of people across the world have now heard of Swansea for the very first time and will be running searches online to find out about the city and what is has to offer. It proves that Premier League status leads to the kind of exposure you just can't buy. Cllr Nick Bradley, Cabinet Member for Regeneration, said: "Innovative outdoor advertising and marketing campaigns have led to many thousands of visiting fans from across the UK and beyond coming to Swansea Bay and spending time here since the Swans were promoted to the Premier League. It's a league watched by millions of people on all continents that truly has global appeal. Let's show the World our love ;-)

• Philosoraptor  |  January 28 2013, 3:08PM

I love the idea if I am honest, but I just don't think it is workable. BUT, it would have been possible if we were granted City Region status as this is the sort of jurisdiction that being a City Region affords. Whereas right now, Bank Holidays are the ruling of the UK Government and WAG (provided the WAG get consent from the UK Government) across the country. City Regions are given exceptionally high amounts of autonomy and electing days of celebration is one of those perks. It is a shame we will not be become the Swansea Bay City Region by the time the cup final comes around, under your suggestion 24th February would known as Cup Final Day. And yet still, I would probably not support a full day off for all workers.... but I do suppose half day would be a very apt gesture and allows people to leave work at about noon. It is still alot of lost money mind you for city region. Do we really want to use it up in a February where our time off would be spent in the house while it pours down with rain outside? Perhaps it would be better to wait until we win the FA Cup next season haha!

• Philosoraptor  |  January 28 2013, 3:10PM

PS. I would imagine the money could be more than made back by replacing one of the UK Bank Holidays with one specifically for the City Region!! That would be a massive enticement for businesses to just come here instead of other cities because while they have all shut down, they can continue operations here.

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!