Login Register

Discussion

“Great news that Cardiff is bidding for the 2026 Commonwealth Games. I'm sure it will bring visitors to South West Wales too. I know some of the Olympics were held in Cardiff, but having the whole competition means tourists will be staying around for longer and will have more time to venture further and see South Wales.

I'm sure we'll get the "Wales can't afford to host this" malarkey, but it is a long term investment after all.”

By pyreneo04 Posted: February 15, 2013

6 comments

6 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • chelsea1955  |  February 15 2013, 2:38PM

Come on Swansea COUNCIL JUMP ON THE BAND WAGON NOW, GIVE THEM OUR SUPPORT ON THIS ONE, SWANSEA COULD MAKE MI££IONS if they get in at the start, don't want to give any support to Cardiff as per norm but this time our CITY CAN MAKE MONEY OUT OF Cardiff doing all the donkey work.

• pyreneo04  |  February 15 2013, 3:46PM

Bit of an overreaction. I don't think any other councils should be expected to fund it. I doubt any games will be held outside of Cardiff, with the possible exception of the national velodrome in Newport.

• Philosoraptor  |  February 16 2013, 10:38AM

And the fact Swansea has the only Olympic standard swimming pool, and the only beach and road network suitable for Triathlon, and the only ready made mountainous off-road biking routes.... But don't worry, the WAG will make sure to spend everybody's tax money making Cardiff's own facilities despite them already existing elsewhere.

• pyreneo04  |  February 16 2013, 4:35PM

That's actually not accurate, Philosoraptor. The pool in Swansea is of Olympic length, i,e, 50 m. But it is short of the width to be classed as Olympic standard. The Cardiff International Pool in South Cardiff is of Olympic standard, however. I think that's a rather unsubstantiated claim about the road network and cycle routes. You obviously don't know South East Wales very well. I'm sure you're proud of Swansea, but it is rather eccentric to frivolous overstatements. You seem part of the minority who see Cardiff as a threat or rival to Swansea, whereas it is actually completely unfair to consider them in the same league. Back to the matter at hand, it seems that a very significant proportion of facilities and infrastructure are already in place.

• Philosoraptor  |  February 18 2013, 11:17AM

I don't consider Cardiff to be a threat but it is a rival, I consider the Welsh Assembly Government to be the threat. Cardiff is just a recipient of their bias and so cannot be blamed for the actions of a the privileged few. But South East Wales does not offer anything near the quality of South West, West and North Wales as far as coastline and rural road networks suitable for Triathlon. And that is a fact. For a start, South East Wales doesn't have a very good offering of sandy beaches or even the cleanest beaches for that matter. It's roads have also had massive investment which means that to much of it now dual carriageway, and then there is the obvious, South East Wales around the coast is way too flat. You don't seem to know much about Triathlon, but you did correct me on the swimming pool. Cheers for clearing that one up, but like I said, South East Wales is not suitable for the Triathlon.

• Lunkhed  |  February 20 2013, 10:19PM

Castle Coch is obviously too flat for a triathlon, I agree. Penarth and Barry beaches are much dirtier than Swansea waterfront which is a world class example of clean sewage. ~~It's roads have also had massive investment which means that to much of it now dual carriageway, and then there is the obvious, South East Wales around the coast is way too flat.~~ *** does that mean?

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!