Login Register

Discussion

“PLEASE COMMENT IF YOU DISAGREE OR AGREE IF YOU HATE PAYING FOR YOUR T.V LICENCE!
IF U THINK IT IS DATED AS SOME OF US CHOOSE TO HAVE SKY OR VIRGIN
IF WE CHOOSE TO PAY FOR ANOTHER COMPANYS SERVICE WHY SHOULD WE PAY A T.V LICENCE?
T.V LICENCE IS A WAY OF TAXING EVERY HOME IN THIS COUNTRY!
WHY AS TECHNOLOGY GETS BETTER THE T.V LICENCE FEEL THEY CAN TAX US LAPTOPS PHONES ECT.
REMEMBER WHEN THE T.V LICENCE WAS CREATED A LOT OF THE SERVICES WAS NOT HERE”

By BURNINGWORDS Posted: November 08, 2012

74 comments

74 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • newsaffair  |  November 08 2012, 9:39PM

The American elections are something,having journalists from the BBC,thick on the ground over there,then pumping us with the same drivel,from different areas, which has been financed by the licence payer. Isn`t anybody home at the BBC,surely this was overdone!!!!

• siarad2  |  November 08 2012, 10:40PM

We have one of the cheaper TV licences in the EU. In Germany they pay much more & for every phone, PC or TV. Japan charges more for satellite than terrestrial. http://tinyurl.com/un6wd

• Kaiser_Macsen  |  November 08 2012, 11:08PM

People who post semi-literate messages with the Caps Lock 'on' should be castrated/sterilised and taxed at 50% of all income (including benefits). Those who post assertions that are untrue should be made to suck puke through a sweaty sock.

• BURNINGWORDS  |  November 08 2012, 11:18PM

Something you should all be thinking when paying for the BBC "I am more concerned and angry that my money has been used to support the employment of certian people (Jimmy Saville etc) who we now know to have committed the most terrible crimes against frightened, vunerable children. I doubt we will ever know just how high and wide the knowledge of this (or even suspicions) reached but I no longer trust the BBC. And I strongly object to them receiving any more money from TV Licences. Maybe the BBC should give the money made from licences over the last 30 years to the victims and their families? But the BBC should not benefit any further from the fees paid by the public. They should be ashamed

• SWEPuser001  |  November 09 2012, 6:45AM

"should be made to suck puke through a sweaty sock." Mmmmmmmmm, those were the days!! :-)

• Philosoraptor  |  November 09 2012, 9:58AM

I completely disagree with your reasoning, are you trying to compare the quality of Sky with the quality the BBC? When Sky ever produces a show with the quality even 1/5th of that of the BBC then come back and claim the BBC Licence is not worth a third of what Sky charge.

• Neathboy234  |  November 09 2012, 10:22AM

I think the BBC is fantastic, and i don't mind paying for it at all.

• Neathboy234  |  November 09 2012, 11:06AM

More good news from the BBC, although some on here will be foaming at the mouth at such news BBC Cymru Wales and S4C have come to an agreement that guarantees current levels of investment in programmes for the Welsh language broadcaster over the next four years. It safeguards the statutory minimum 520 hours of programmes supplied by BBC Cymru Wales to S4C each year.

• geoboy01  |  November 09 2012, 11:09AM

A decent post on here for a change! yes i think were ripped off with the outdated tv licence,the cr** were expected to watch on the beeb is a load of rubbish,what happened to british comedy? BBC should now take on advertising to pay forthe Slop they dish out on bbc1!!!!!!

• brochadav  |  November 09 2012, 11:21AM

The BBC is over funded hence people like Jonathan Ross getting millions for being a total knob (entirely my own opinion BTW) We pay enough in taxes, it's time the BBC had to pay their own way. And if you think sky don't make anything that comes close to the BBC then your not looking closely enough. A series called the British was on recently and was very good. National geographic and Discovery have fantastic educational programmes.There is dross too admittedly but the BBC give us Eastenders and plenty of other less then edifying "quality tv"

• Gwyddno  |  November 09 2012, 11:53AM

I suggest that an earlier discussion piece be read along with the comments posted. http://tinyurl.com/aort3gw Abolishing the TV licence fee isn't going to solve the huge problem of child abuse. Using the Savile cases as an excuse to get out of paying £145 per year is disgraceful.

• brochadav  |  November 09 2012, 12:04PM

Gwyddno, I agree with your sentiment but the BBC should be self funding. But then, petrol should be cheaper, criminals should be locked up and hospitals should try to cure people and not hurry them to their death. The world is a strange place. And the BBC should still pay it's own way.

• townhilltom  |  November 09 2012, 12:21PM

@ siarad2, the TV stations in Germany who do receive public money from licence fees also carry advertising. I live in Germany and certainly do not pay a licence fee for my phone or PC.

• blackguyfawke  |  November 09 2012, 1:51PM

've lived at my current address for 15 years, and I've always had a TV, but I've never had a license. It's a total rip off. It's not a subscription, it's a sweeping, across the board backdoor tax. And you've already paid the Tax on your TV. All the license fee does, is subsidises the BBC. And they can totally afford to operate in the same way that other broadcasters do. I get letters telling me there's no license registered at my address, and threatening to send their people around every three months or so, I don't even bother opening them. When their chap comes around, as they do eventually, I'll open the door, and tell him I don't need a license, and when he asks why, I say that I don't own a TV. Yes, it's a bare faced lie, but I don't suffer any twangs of guilt over it. They write down that I haven't got one, all really polite, then say that they just need to come inside to check. And I'm like, What? He'll repeat himself. "I just have to come in and check what you've told me is true, for my records" Again, I refuse. I've just seen him fill in his records I'll say. And they get really persistent. "Why can't I come in"? I say that I've already given him all the information he needs for his records. And that he can't come in, because it's not convenient. Now, I know that I've just lied to him, but he doesn't know that, and he's standing on my doorstep, having already been given all the information he's entitled to, and he's there, calling me a liar to my face. I repeat, firmly, that no, he is not coming in. He threatens to come back with an "Enforcement Team" and I say, "OK , go and do that then. You still won't be coming in". I know they have no right of entry whatsoever, even if they can hear a TV in the background. Now he's just trying to Bully his way in, and I don't respond well to Bullies. If I was a little old Lady, or a single mum, I would be feeling really intimidated by now, and would probably have capitulated and let the little twot in. That is how they get away with charging this ridiculous Tax on people. It's demanding money with menaces. They can only take you to court, if they have been inside and seen you with a TV on. If you just ignore the letters, and don't let them in, there's nothing they can do. Better still, don't answer the door to them. Just because they knock, doesn't obligate you to answer. There's no arrestable offense being committed, so there's no Police action applicable. They can't apply to a Court for a warrant, and they can't make you pay, if you really don't want to pay. That's how I deal with them anyway.

• blackguyfawke  |  November 09 2012, 1:52PM

But I don't blame people for coughing up year after year really. It's worth the money just not to have all the hassle for most people, I can see that. But it's still wrong, and a sneaky, bullying way to squeeze a little bit more money out of people who have already paid out for VAT, Sky subscriptions, TV Setups, etc

• blackguyfawke  |  November 09 2012, 1:53PM

The BBC should stick to public service broadcasting such as news and current affairs, leaving other programming to commercial stations. The licence fee is an anachronism is this day and age and should be abolished forthwith. What on earth is the BBC doing paying massive fees to so called celebrities at taxpayers' expense

• SWEPuser001  |  November 09 2012, 3:42PM

"people like Jonathan Ross getting millions for being a total knob (entirely my own opinion BTW)" My opinion too, but didn't the BBC sack him? (Not before time!!!) (My opinion!!)

• BURNINGWORDS  |  November 09 2012, 4:28PM

@ geoboy01 Sorry but 30 years of our kids clapping to jim will fix it (jimmy savile) there is your disgrace like i said before i dont watch the bbc so why should i pay for it?I pay to watch sky,so what part of that do u not understand?If im only watching what i want to watch witch is not the bbc why should i pay?For the comment about jimmy savile he was reported on numerous times but they still chose to employ him not once not twice but one two three four five six seven time,i dont pay for my kids to clap to pedos,for those who disagree here is a blue peter badge

• geoboy01  |  November 09 2012, 6:58PM

burning words why pick on me? Idiot,the bbc is a disgrace(my opinion) blackguyfawke i like your style!

• luggys  |  November 09 2012, 8:02PM

I have never had a tv licence and dont intend to buy one.

• torquemada  |  November 10 2012, 12:33PM

I havent got a TV yet I am sick of getting letters from the licencing people every single month telling me they are going to investigate my property. I havent got a fishing or shotgun licence either but dont get threatening "red" letters from them. Let them come and I will send them away with a severe verbal warning - but they are not coming in to check, they have not right whatsoever. The thing is, you can have a TV and it can be plugged in, but you are not allowed to watch (or record) programmes as they are broadcast. There is no restriction if you use it to watch DVD's, computer games etc

• BURNINGWORDS  |  November 10 2012, 1:32PM

Wasn`t the license originally introduced to control who or what is broadcast over the airwaves? I always thought it was just to pay for regulatory controls to prevent all and sundry from experimenting and clogging the available bandwidth with twaddle . Since regulations should be passed through parliament , with a non-fiscal cost , then surely the broadcasting license is paid by the broadcaster involved and should not necessarily be passed to EVERY person in the land whether they use that particular broadcaster or not. How come the license fee is only ever advertised on BBC ? Why is it not shown on other channels ? What if someone never watches the BBC - Could they argue that they had no idea that a license is a requirement to OWN a TV never mind watch one ? What if someone just uses a TV to watch DVDs or use it as a monitor for their computer? Is it actually a legal requirement to pay for a company rather than a service? How come that this country , which is an advocate of free speech , could fine or send to jail those who persistently insist on that freedom to choose what they watch and pay for? I do not use SKY myself but those who wish to watch this service pay this broadcaster to provide the service THEY want . Similarly those who use Virgin Media pay for that service through subscription. This means that those viewers are forced to pay TWICE . Isn`t it time that the BBC is brought up to date . Many people argue that the BBC broadcasts quality TV and is worth every penny but if that includes such programs as Eastenders or Strictly Come Dancing then I raise my hands in disbelief. Whenever these , or other programs of the same ilk - that includes Coronation St et al , are on I usually change channels in order to find some real entertainment. It was not intended to pay for overpaid so called celebrities to live the life of luxury in the name of so-called entertainment. Also I do not use BBC radio either - I have no truck with using commercial Radio complete with some of its banal advertising..

• BURNINGWORDS  |  November 10 2012, 1:42PM

@ geoboy01 Sorry mate it wasnt aimed at you i wrote the wrong name it was aimed at Gwyddno my appoliges

• BURNINGWORDS  |  November 10 2012, 1:50PM

Wasn`t the license originally introduced to control who or what is broadcast over the airwaves? I always thought it was just to pay for regulatory controls to prevent all and sundry from experimenting and clogging the available bandwidth with twaddle . Since regulations should be passed through parliament , with a non-fiscal cost , then surely the broadcasting license is paid by the broadcaster involved and should not necessarily be passed to EVERY person in the land whether they use that particular broadcaster or not. How come the license fee is only ever advertised on BBC ? Why is it not shown on other channels ? What if someone never watches the BBC - Could they argue that they had no idea that a license is a requirement to OWN a TV never mind watch one ? What if someone just uses a TV to watch DVDs or use it as a monitor for their computer? Is it actually a legal requirement to pay for a company rather than a service? How come that this country , which is an advocate of free speech , could fine or send to jail those who persistently insist on that freedom to choose what they watch and pay for? I do not use SKY myself but those who wish to watch this service pay this broadcaster to provide the service THEY want . Similarly those who use Virgin Media pay for that service through subscription. This means that those viewers are forced to pay TWICE . Isn`t it time that the BBC is brought up to date . Many people argue that the BBC broadcasts quality TV and is worth every penny but if that includes such programs as Eastenders or Strictly Come Dancing then I raise my hands in disbelief. Whenever these , or other programs of the same ilk - that includes Coronation St et al , are on I usually change channels in order to find some real entertainment. It was not intended to pay for overpaid so called celebrities to live the life of luxury in the name of so-called entertainment. Also I do not use BBC radio either - I have no truck with using commercial Radio complete with some of its banal advertising.

• blackguyfawke  |  November 10 2012, 3:11PM

For those who say is rubbish lets enlighten you,sky provides me bbc england,bbc scotland and bbc wales,am i paying twice? as i would have it on normal tv and then if i have sky i have it on there as well,for those who dont like adverts there is a thing called pre record,pause fast forward and rewind,also bbc claim they are the only ones who dont have adverts they are lying because they advertise £1000 fines for not having a tv licence,if you watch sky premier movies they dont have adverts,sky brings cinema movies to our homes,so you must think going to the cinema is rubbish as well.Some of you must be right because they provide the bbc to

• Gwyddno  |  November 10 2012, 4:46PM

burningwords Please don't confuse me with geoboy as it annoys him. You are using the Savile cases as an excuse to get out of paying £145.50 per year. Which of the following quotes from you is true? a.) 'I pay to watch sky,so what part of that do u not understand?' - Friday, November 09 2012, 4:28PM b.) 'I do not use SKY myself' - Saturday, November 10 2012, 1:32PM btw: What made you choose your pseudonym?

• BURNINGWORDS  |  November 10 2012, 6:17PM

That would all be well and good DB if we were treated as shareholders and not forced subscribers. The license is a BBC protection racket tax. You can't watch any other channel without paying it legally. It's like picking up a copy of the Times only to be told you can't read that unless you purchase the Guardian as well!"

• BURNINGWORDS  |  November 10 2012, 6:18PM

For those who say is rubbish lets enlighten you,sky provides me bbc england,bbc scotland and bbc wales,am i paying twice? as i would have it on normal tv and then if i have sky i have it on there as well,for those who dont like adverts there is a thing called pre record,pause fast forward and rewind,also bbc claim they are the only ones who dont have adverts they are lying because they advertise £1000 fines for not having a tv licence,if you watch sky premier movies they dont have adverts,sky brings cinema movies to our homes,so you must think going to the cinema is rubbish as well.Some of you must be right because they provide the bbc to

• BURNINGWORDS  |  November 10 2012, 6:37PM

@ Gwyddno You are horribly losing this debate i dont care if it was 1p if im paying for another service i dont see why i have to pay the bbc to use the service i want to use there is no argument put it on the card who ever wants to use the bbc put it on the pay card the same as everyone else,why should i pay for the likes of you to watch the bbc as the likes of you dont pay for me to watch sky

• Dooyah  |  November 10 2012, 6:46PM

Burningwords Your post at 6:18pm today. blackguyfawke agrees with every word of it - See post at 3:11pm today. lol

• BURNINGWORDS  |  November 10 2012, 7:44PM

@Dooyah Im glad your with us spread on the burning words as it must be spreading fast.We have the right to pay for what we choose to pay for!Carry on spreading on the message Dooyah THANKS

• abertawejack  |  November 10 2012, 8:05PM

Trial by The BBC and now ITV Media, mm one way of getting Jimmy Seville away from BBC and media attention, get an innocent victim to hound but never mind the truth, absolutely disgusting reporting. Close these clowns down now once and for all, I wish to decide what channel I pay to watch other than BBC or ITV.

• BURNINGWORDS  |  November 10 2012, 8:49PM

@ abertawejack Lovely write up

• BURNINGWORDS  |  November 10 2012, 8:53PM

@ Dooyah THANKS AGAIN now the readers will realy no what the public thinks about Tv licencing remember dont just follow what i write read what the rest of the public think as well.

• BURNINGWORDS  |  November 11 2012, 5:34PM

Do your maths the population 62,641,000 times that by a £145.50 and see how great the bbc empire is!funds what they must have a hole in there pocket because the amount of money they have forced on people to pay they should be running more then the bbc.

• Gwyddno  |  November 11 2012, 6:31PM

At least 6 local newspapers owned by the Daily Mail Group have this as a discussion item. All of the forum posts have burningwoods and blackguyfawke entries. In some cases a post from BWoods is replicated elsewhere and posted using the name BGFawke and vice versa. Yeh. You do the ma*** double+ not good BW. lol

• theamber1  |  November 11 2012, 8:09PM

62,640,000 license payers in the uk ? wow BURNINGWORDS, that assumes that every member of the population of the uk has purchased one, man- woman and child, what a particularly odd assumption ? i have never had a tv license, always had a tv just not interested in all the paperwork involved (not to mention the cost) i have come to the conclusion BURNINGWORDS that your statistics are a tad flawed.

• BURNINGWORDS  |  November 11 2012, 8:11PM

@ Gwyddno You should be a news a news paper writer thank you for spreading the news to the public,but i did hear through the grape vine its spreading quiet fast through facebook usersl lol The spreading of the peoples words

• BURNINGWORDS  |  November 11 2012, 8:13PM

Sorry for the double spelling news paper writer spread on the news dear chap

• BURNINGWORDS  |  November 11 2012, 8:17PM

Share if u think the Tv licence is out of date as we pay for other services eg sky,virgin,why should we pay the bbc to use another service,it's like buying a news paper and not being allowed to read it beacuse you have not bought another news paper

• BURNINGWORDS  |  November 11 2012, 8:44PM

@ theamber1 It was just an estimate of what the bbc are expecting us to pay as children grow up they will be expected to pay,when ones child becomes a student in his one room with a laptop he will be expected to pay because his laptop can pick up a bbc channel,every household in this country are expected to pay. Must i buy the evening post befor im allowed to read the daily mail? anyway thats how big the empire is.How many billions have already been paid? Even prisioners pay a fee to have a tv in there cell,thats how far the empire stretches. The next time you watch the lottery and you see the rollover thats what the Tv licence makes now dont be fooled

• Gwyddno  |  November 11 2012, 9:30PM

What a troll. Help the Daily Mail Group's share portfolio (owns 20% of ITN and large interests in other commercial TV ventures) by constantly attacking the BBC. It won't do anything to stop child abuse but some idiots think it will so, it must be right.

• BURNINGWORDS  |  November 11 2012, 10:27PM

@Gwddno im happy to do the next page about my views on child abusers but i guarantee you they will close my wall,because i know who to point the finger at when it comes to rolling out the red carpet for a child abuser,you no what i will set a page up on pedos,myself i class a judge no different from them as they give out the sentences ,only backed by parliament,is that the topic you want?

• BURNINGWORDS  |  November 11 2012, 10:48PM

@Gwyddno And im not choosing to attack the bbc im standing up for my rights to pay for what i choose to watch,im happy for any of yous to pay the bbc but dont expect me to pay as i dont use there services.Remember they knocked on my door i didnt knock on there door,demanding i must pay them to even though im using another companys service.

• theamber1  |  November 12 2012, 12:05AM

BURNINGWORDS - at what point in time do we reach your estimation that 62,641,000 people in the uk have to buy a tv licence ? at the moment it is one person in 5 who has to legaly purchase a tv licence (aprox) i in no way claim to be an intelectual equal to your good self, but surely to reach the numbers of uk tv licence payers you claim, the population must surely exceed 300,000,000 ?

• BURNINGWORDS  |  November 12 2012, 12:52AM

Except that the TV licence is not required for each person, just each separate address where a TV, or other equipment capable of receiving live TV broadcasts, is kept. The approximate number of homes in the UK is about 25,000,000, add another 5,000,000 for business use, giving 30,000,000, less than half the number you offer. Giving a figure of £4,365,000,000,

• godisalie  |  November 12 2012, 1:39AM

fing is c can ne1 spel nefin nemor cos from wot i reed on ere it dun look like

• BURNINGWORDS  |  November 12 2012, 6:58PM

Its good to watch the news today to know that the bbc are getting it hard,and even the big guns want rid of the bbc so do the people really want the bbc?I think not

• williamwaun  |  November 12 2012, 7:10PM

People are glad to go out and spend hundreds on Alcohol and drink so why not on entertainment. People are glad of the TV if they are not able to get out.

• blackguyfawke  |  November 12 2012, 8:07PM

I keep hearing about that the bbc have got great radio stations to me it is a bit annoying when you keep hearing the repeats of chart music allday, its all about illegal pirate radio stations witch are given to the public for free thats where the vibe

• Carnabwth  |  November 13 2012, 10:53AM

I have asked TV Licensing the following question - Could you please advise me as to where is my contract stored. I cannot recall signing a contract to become a criminal in the aiding and abetting crime. I cannot recall signing a contract to support nor participate in the cover up of paedophilia.

• BURNINGWORDS  |  November 13 2012, 1:24PM

Sorry to be pointing the finger at jimmy savile how about gary glitter now keep paying for the Tv licence,i dont pay to sponsor the likes of there kind once is bad enough but twice hats off to the bbc

• blackguyfawke  |  November 13 2012, 7:27PM

The BBC's credibility is beyond recovery. The BBC has been institutionally biased for years, and years. It has failed over a very long period of time to conduct itself in an impartial manner, and as a Public Service Broadcaster funded by tax payers that contravenes the terms of its charter. It has viewed itself beyond reproach and its arrogance is amazing. The BBC has even managed to politicise the Archers ! Time for Licence Fee to be abolished and let the public decide what they want to watch and who they pay for their services. Not content with the huge amounts of monies it receives from the Licence Payer, it has received funding from the European Union, as well as a £141 Million loan from the European Investment bank on favourable terms. That raises the question what influence the EU exerts over the BBC ? How can a public service broadcaster demonstrate genuine impartially on European issues if it's in receipt of EU funds

• Eric_Pode  |  November 13 2012, 8:55PM

Here's the answer: Contrary to popular belief, their manure has little to no detectable odour when maintained appropriately in pastures or paddocks with adequate access to forage and water. The hair is naturally ordure. Their red blood cells have an oval shape, unlike those of other mammals, which are circular. This facilitates their flow in a dehydrated state. These cells are also more stable to withstand high osmotic variation without rupturing when drinking large amounts of lager. Oval red corpuscles are not found in any other mammal, but are present in reptiles, birds, and fish. An idiot, dolt, or dullard is a mentally deficient person, or someone who acts in a self-defeating or significantly counterproductive way. The similar terms moron, imbecile, and cretin have all gained specialized meanings in modern times. An idiot is said to be idiotic, and to suffer from idiocy. A dunce is an idiot who is specifically incapable of learning. An idiot differs from a fool (who is unwise) and an ignoramus (who is uneducated/an ignorant), neither of which refers to someone with low intelligence. Understand before your rattling fingers corrode and the sole surviving brain cell bursts. Further Reading: Myshkin's only relation in St. Petersburg is the very distant Lizaveta Prokofyevna Yepanchin. Madame Yepanchin is the wife of General Yepanchin, a wealthy and respected man in his late fifties. The prince makes the acquaintance of the Yepanchins, who have three daughters—Alexandra, Adelaida, and Aglaya, the last being the youngest and the most beautiful. General Yepanchin has an ambitious and vain assistant named Gavrila Ardalyonovich Ivolgin (nicknamed Ganya) whom Myshkin also meets during his visit to the household. Ganya, though actually in love with Aglaya, is trying to marry Anastassya Filippovna Barashkov, an extraordinarily beautiful femme fatale who was once the mistress of the aristocrat Totsky. Totsky has promised Ganya 75,000 rubles if he marries the "fallen" Nastassya Filippovna instead. As Myshkin is so innocent and naive, Ganya openly discusses the subject of the proposed marriage in front of the prince. It turns out that Nastassya Filippovna is the same woman pursued obsessively by Rogozhin, and Ganya asks the Prince whether Rogozhin would marry her. The Prince replies that he might well marry her and then murder her a week later.

• GretaCarbo  |  November 13 2012, 9:15PM

This will please the dynumic spuo: http://tinyurl.com/dyddlqm

• BURNINGWORDS  |  November 14 2012, 8:21PM

We are Anonymous, We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget.

• BURNINGWORDS  |  November 14 2012, 8:22PM

We are ANONYMOUS. We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us. http://tinyurl.com/cgku7ae

• BURNINGWORDS  |  November 14 2012, 8:31PM
  • BURNINGWORDS  |  November 14 2012, 8:36PM

Please watch this video it will take a couple of minutes of your time it may change the way you think and see things http://tinyurl.com/cxqjtnx

• Gwyddno  |  November 14 2012, 9:53PM

BW You'll always be Skyster Henbrane to me. http://tinyurl.com/c3n856k

• BURNINGWORDS  |  November 14 2012, 10:42PM

Are you Anonymous ? Anonymous is against phedophiles ? Are you against phedophiles ? Then share the video so that everyone can see thus you will help the children of our world ! http://tinyurl.com/a7csuwm jimmy savile gary glitter BBC

• BURNINGWORDS  |  November 14 2012, 10:55PM
  • Eric_Pode  |  November 14 2012, 11:38PM

and philophaxuals http://tinyurl.com/a72nrua

• Amday1121  |  November 17 2012, 12:21AM

In my opinion its time to get rid of the tv licence fee as people now have a subscription to pay ontop. I have always paid my licence much to my husbands disgrace but I didn't fancy landing a hefty fine. There seems to be a charge for everything these days our money is never our own. in one hand out the other.

• Philosoraptor  |  November 28 2012, 10:01AM

LOL at people (Brochadave) thinking Sky make quality programs... for your information... Sky do not make anything on Discovery etc and besides, those are low quality american documentaries that repeat what they say several times because they have to recap after commercial breaks. They also prefer to look at the sensationalist side of opinions in science because it makes for better television. Only the BBC and Channel 4 seem capable of making a good document, and with regards to the Sky platform I am so so glad that BT are going to drive BSkyB completely out of business over the next several years. First of all, by using their immensely superior financial clout they will take away virtually all of the football matches come the next round of bidding because in 2016 they will have extensive coverage with the fast broadband rollout, enough to deliver HD quality live games to millions of homes. Without football the Sky platform will fail, it purely relies on it and it cannot compete against the might of BT as far as money is concerned.

• Philosoraptor  |  November 28 2012, 10:24AM

Burningwoods/Anonymous, We are ANONYMOUS. - No you're not, you are BURNINGWORDS We are Legion. - Nope, your a broken group of people who rarely speak to each other. We do not forgive. - Wrong, you forgave criminals who commit online fraud apparently. We do not forget. - You forget you are easily traceable everytime you annoy the Gov'ts. Expect us. - They did, and sent the culprits to jail. LOL

• Hadoken757575  |  November 28 2012, 4:33PM

I dont pay for mine, never have done and never will. hardly ever watch it. If someone comes around knocking just hide the thing in the attic, if they ask to come in, just make something up. They cant tell if you have a tv or not, they just know that most people do and prey on that paranoia with that advery in the 80s. What am I paying for, its all adverts and mostly **** anyway. The internet is much better.

• TheMatthew  |  November 29 2012, 8:33AM

Hadoken I don't use my car much either but that doesn't exempt me from vehicle tax and valid insurance.If you hardly ever watch it then why not get rid of it ? Perhaps you watch it occasionally and feel aggrieved that you're not getting your money's worth ? There are many situations the same in life, people who drive more could be said to be gettinga better deal on their car tax than someone who pays the same and seldom drives. The fact that you have a tv suggests you do watch it, if only sometimes. Your refusal to purchase a licence suggests you think you have some entitlement to watch for free while the rest of us pay. This speaks volumes for your integrity and honesty and I wonder how many other laws you pick and choose to adhere to depending on whether they serve your convenience or not.

• lissette  |  November 29 2012, 2:48PM

I dont think we should pay for the BBC we pay enough for a TV in the first place, then pay for services from eg virgin or sky to get quality picture viewing. At the end of the day if they can pay off all that money to useless Management that we pay for through the licence fee which was shocking...I think they should go down the same road as other channels and introduce adverts. to pay for the BBC. The only thing we watch on that channel is eastenders and holby. The goverment should not get involved.

• ArthurRittick  |  November 29 2012, 3:04PM

burning words, suggest you save the money you spend on Sky/Virgin & licenece fee & get yourself an education. Your mis-spelled, ungrammatical & SHOUTED rant is an embarassment. Do not agree that the licence fee is too high although I would agree that the BBC has lost control of how that money is utilised. For those that only watch Eastenders & Holby - get a life!

• godisalie  |  November 29 2012, 8:05PM

ArthurRittick, Sorry to point it out but there is a terrible spelling mistake in your post too! Read the first line of your post.

• lissette  |  December 01 2012, 5:00PM

arthurrittick!!!! I can see you cant spell you idiot,I think it is you who needs to look at your keyboard, me get a life I suppose yours consists of reading and commenting on here..sado...

• BearTraps  |  December 23 2012, 9:34PM

I just recently herd on the news that the bbc new and had reports of jimmy savile fooling about with little kids and didnt act on any of the fact that they were given,after being given the facts they still allowed him to present himself to children carry on paying your tv licence if you feel you havent been betrayed

• fayswan5  |  June 03 2013, 5:56PM

The BBC should not be able to force people to pay a licence with threats of fines. They should run it like any other business. You can bet a lot of the moneys goes into corrupt pockets and backhanders and of course not to mention the cover ups of their staff. You do NOT have to have a licence in the UK unless you are watching streaming TV. So you can watch DVDs or play games. They will harrase you though which is illegal. There are several petitions out there this is one http://tinyurl.com/bumcvz4

View all Comments

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!