Login Register

Work to start on European-style boulevard in Swansea

By South Wales Evening Post  |  Posted: February 15, 2013

By Alex brown

The sections of road to be improved

The sections of road to be improved

Comments (12)

WORK to transform one of Swansea's main traffic routes into a European-style boulevard will begin next month.

Council bosses say everything possible will be done to minimise disruption for motorists when work begins on the stretch of Victoria Road between Princess Way and The Strand on Tuesday, March 5.

The £8 million project will improve the look of a key Swansea city centre gateway by introducing environmental enhancements between the River Tawe bridges and Princess Way.

Work includes introducing better quality and wider pavements, better facilities for cyclists and pedestrians, tree planting and benches as well as public art.

Phil Holmes, Swansea Council's head of economic regeneration and planning, said: "Victoria Road and Quay Parade act as a barrier between the city centre and its waterfront.

"This is why links between city centre shops and the Maritime Quarter, SA1 and the promenade need improving to encourage more people to cycle and walk between them.

"This project will also generate a better impression of Swansea and help attract more investment in future."

Contractors will start preparing on site for the first phase of boulevard project works on Wednesday, February 27, before work starts on Tuesday, March 5.

Off-peak working and night-time working will take place wherever possible, and narrow lanes will be introduced to maintain traffic flows.

Two lanes of traffic in each direction will be maintained at all times during peak hours.

It's one of several projects being funded by the Welsh Government's Regeneration Area programme, the European Regional Development Fund and Swansea Council to improve Swansea city centre.

Councillor Nick Bradley, Swansea Council's cabinet member for regeneration, said: "Design principles for the boulevard were first agreed in January 2011. Funding for the boulevard is ring-fenced, which means it can only be spent on this project.

"Everything will be done to limit potential impact on motorists"

This first phase lasts until the end of November, before a second phase follows between the River Tawe bridges and The Strand on a similar timescale next year.

Information panels for the public will also be available at the National Waterfront Museum from Friday, February 22, to Wednesday, March 6.

Read more from South Wales Evening Post

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

12 comments

  • vizhualaid  |  February 22 2013, 3:15PM

    why not develop a beachside mumbles - Amazon park railway .Use steam trains in the summer and it will attract loads of tourists/visitors.

    Rate   2
    Report
  • peteredwards  |  February 20 2013, 5:22PM

    As previously stated the only solution to linking the city centre with the marina etc would be to tunnel Oystermouth road from around the museum to the county hall and pedestrianise the complete area.Planting trees will look very nice but not solve the problem.

    Rate   1
    Report
  • JohnSnelly  |  February 16 2013, 8:40PM

    Should we expect traffic queues back to Amazon and Morfa again?

    Rate   5
    Report
  • jamesjSwansea  |  February 16 2013, 5:38PM

    13 million pounds in debt and still spending. Would you run your business this way?

    Rate   4
    Report
  • jamesjSwansea  |  February 16 2013, 5:37PM

    13 million pounds in debt and still spending. Would you run your business this way?

    Rate   3
    Report
  • immigrant1  |  February 16 2013, 2:42AM

    The road isn't being given a French Name; it's called Victoria Road.

    Rate   4
    Report
  • TaipeiSteve  |  February 15 2013, 5:59PM

    Irrespective of the pretentious name and dubious claims that the enhancements will link the seafront and city, I think that a tree-lined thoroughfare is a very welcome addition to the city. Rather than this being a one-off project, I would also like to see the Kingsway, Princess Way and Carmarthen Road become tree-lined thoroughfares. I agree that at times of economic hardship money cannot be wasted on vanity projects. Still, I think planting of trees is a relatively inexpensive enhancement when we consider the scale of the overall effect and amount of pleasure that areas of green provide. Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

    Rate   1
    Report
  • Gowercitizen  |  February 15 2013, 5:03PM

    For goodness sake! Giving the road a French name will not change its nature. It will still be a barrier between the City and the sea. The only real solution would be to drop a 200 - 400 yard section into a tunnel - as has been done in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. If the Council had saved on the countless works along this particular stretch of road (and there are roadworks today on Oystermouth road alongside County Hall) it could probably have paid for a tunnel by now.

    Rate   -2
    Report
  • SAswan  |  February 15 2013, 1:09PM

    at least that awful subway at the bottom end of wind street has been got rid of

    Rate   5
    Report
  • brochadav  |  February 15 2013, 11:35AM

    It looks like a great idea, but should it be a priority right now? Services are being cut across the board, I'm sure people who are having a service removed would wonder why when we can afford this? I know a woman who lives in sheletered accomodation, she is bedbound and qualified for 24 hour emergency call out who was told her service was being cut. She needs help to get to the toilet, if she needs to go during the night and can't get help she'll soil her bed and have to lay in it for hours, is that fair? Yet we can afford this new development.

    Rate   5
    Report

      YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

       
       

      MORE NEWS HEADLINES