Login Register

Waunarlwydd man hit passer-by with plank of wood because he thought he was too noisy

By South Wales Evening Post  |  Posted: April 02, 2013

A MAN who assaulted a noisy passer-by by hitting him to his face with a plank of wood has avoided jail.

Sean Thomas also attacked a second man — the first victim's friend — because he felt the pair were being too noisy.

Prosecuting barrister Ieuan Rees told Swansea Crown Court that police had been called to Teilo Crescent, Townhill, by an anonymous caller on January 13.

Officers found Scott Kennedy and Nicholas Manson inside a nearby house. The pair told officers shortly before police arrived they had been assaulted by a man they had never met.

They said they couldn't explain why, but as they walked along the unknown man — later identified as Thomas — started being abusive to them and became very angry with them.

Mr Rees said: "Without provocation he picked up a plank of wood and began to hit Mr Manson with it."

Other neighbours tried to intervene and restrain Thomas, but he also swung a punch at Mr Kennedy which hit him in his face.

As a result of the attack Mr Manson was left with reddening and swelling to his left eye and cheek as well as a bloody bottom lip and a wobbly tooth.

Mr Kennedy received a cut to his lip, said Mr Rees.

Thomas admitted a charge of assault and one of causing actual bodily harm, before the court.

In a basis of plea, he said the pair were walking by a house he was staying at and were being loud.

Thomas said he went to remonstrate with the pair about the noise, but said he lost his temper.

The court heard the 25-year-old, of Cil-y-Coed, Waunarlwydd, had 30 previous convictions including one for battery after he assaulted a supermarket worker in 2009.

Patrick Llewellyn, representing Thomas, said his client had shown "significant remorse".


"He was emotional due to an argument he had been having with his partner just before and he came across the victims," said Thomas's barrister.

He said since becoming a father, Thomas had reduced his offending and he had "begun to turn his life around".

"This was a rare aberration in the context of his current lifestyle," said Mr Llewellyn.

Recorder Peter Griffiths sentenced him to a nine-month sentence, suspended for 12 months.

Thomas was also ordered to complete 100 hours of unpaid work as part of the suspended sentence.

"You're being given a chance on that and this court hopes you will take that chance and not re-offend," added the judge.

Read more from South Wales Evening Post