DOG owners have been urged to be on the look out after a new batch of a mystery fatty goo washed on a Gower beach.
Swansea Council staff have removed a quantity of what they described as a “non-toxic fatty substance” from Rotherslade Bay.
The discovery is the latest appearance of the substance — thought to be rotting fat — on beaches across South Wales over the last six weeks.
Last month the Evening Post reported how Gorseinon man Daniel Hart had to make the heart-wrenching decision to put down much-loved family pet Maisy after the pooch ate a similar substance on Llangennith Beach and became very sick.
Swansea Council are urging beach dog walkers to keep their animals away from any fatty flotsam.
Huw Morgan, pollution control officer with the local authority, said: “This material has a white, waxy appearance and an unpleasant smell.
"While it is not harmful to the public, it can be harmful to animals if it is eaten and we would urge dog owners to be vigilant and keep their dogs on a lead.
“Should any member of the public discover the substance they should report it to the council as soon possible.”
The council said it will remove the substance from public beaches and will give “advice” to private beach owners about proper disposal.
The local authority is advising members of the public who come into the contact with the substance to was their hands as usual with soap and water, and to wash any clothes that may be affected.
It is believed the deposits found at beaches including Ogmore, Southerndown, Porthcawl, Oxwich and Llangennith, are rancid, degraded vegetable oil which may have been washed into the Bristol Channel. Similar deposits have been reported on the Cornish coast.
Call Swansea Council on 01792 636000