Login Register
 °

Video emerges of electronic cigarette apparently exploding into flames in front of bar worker

By South Wales Evening Post  |  Posted: April 08, 2014

Comments (2)

VIDEO has emerged of an electronic cigarette apparently blowing up in front of a bar worker.

The footage comes just two months after a Neath family claimed the same thing happened to them.

CCTV in the pub recorded the latest incident.

In the footage Laura Baty, 18, is seen working at the Buck Inn Hotel in Richmond.

Related content

The electronic cigarette belonged to a colleague who had been charging it on an iPad charger.

Laura suffered minor burns to her arms and damage to her dress as a result of the explosion.

She is reported as saying: “I was about to give somebody their change and I heard the bang.

“I could see the fire coming at me and I felt the heat as I ran away.

“I started crying hysterically and my arm was all black. My dress caught on fire as I ran away and I just didn’t know what was happening.”

Steve Bake, a Richmond fire officer, added: “If that had happened in someone’s house, it could have set curtains or furniture ablaze so there is clearly a big risk here. Especially if someone has no smoke detectors.”

The Neath incident happened in February in the Whittington Street, Melin, home of Keirran Francis.

He said his partner’s four-year-old boy was walking past the fake cigarette, which was on charge at the time, when it “blew up”.

Deputy head of community safety at Mid and West Wales Fire Service, Steve Davies, said at the time: “If you use e-cigarettes, please make sure you purchase them from a reputable source and when charging them, don’t leave them unattended for long periods.

“It’s also a good idea to keep an eye on the Electronic Cigarette Trade Industry Trade Association’s website for the industry’s response to increasing medical and health regulations. If you have any doubts about the safety of e-cigarettes being sold locally, you should contact Trading Standards and always make sure you have a working smoke alarm in the event something does go wrong.”

Neath

Read more from South Wales Evening Post

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

2 comments

  • Timbo23  |  April 09 2014, 12:38PM

    I wonder if it was the cigarette or the charger? I think it's a great pity that the world seems to be turning against E-cigartettes already. Surely, anything is better than smoking tobacco?

    |   6
  • Eric_Pode  |  April 08 2014, 8:11PM

    Mobile phones have been known to explode also. Using an iPad charger for anything other than an iPad is risky.

    |   7

      YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

       
       
       

      MORE NEWS HEADLINES