Login Register

Swansea veteran protests over eight-year op wait

By South Wales Evening Post  |  Posted: May 08, 2014

Veteran Fred Bevan protesting, after waiting over eight years for an operation.

Comments (1)

A SWANSEA army veteran who claims to have waited over eight years for a hernia operation has staged a three-pronged offensive.

Frederick Bevan, of Orchard Court, Swansea, was first referred for surgery in 2006 but due to a series of unfortunate circumstances — including near fatal complications during a surgery attempt — he has yet to have the procedure.

Now the 77-year-old former regimental goat major for the Royal Welch Regiment has written to the Prime Minister, started a petition and mounted a protest outside Morriston Hospital.

In March a spokesman for Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University Health Board (ABMU) promised to be in contact to arrange an alternative date as soon as possible but he has heard nothing.

Related content

Of his protest outside Morriston Hospital he said: "There were a lot of people supporting me and I had over 200 signatures on my petition.

"Some people from the hospital came out and asked me to go inside and talk to them.

"They asked me to take my poster down and I agreed but I told them I would be back if I didn't have a positive response soon."

And of his letter to David Cameron he added: "My family has voted Labour all our lives but I wrote to tell him that I agreed with his calling the opposition Muppets over how they have handled the NHS."

A spokesman for the health board said: "Mr Bevan was first referred to ABMU in 2011, and he was added to the waiting list in March that year. On December 9, 2011, he underwent surgery at Princess of Wales Hospital for his hernia but suffered a cardiac arrest under general anaesthetic due to anaphylaxis (severe allergic reaction).

The operation had to be abandoned before it could be finished and Mr Bevan could not be operated on again until his GP had confirmed it would be safe."He was added to the waiting list in September, 2013, after we received that confirmation. Surgery was scheduled for Morriston Hospital on October 28 but was postponed as emergency patients needed urgent, unplanned care.

"We apologise for the inconvenience and upset this caused. We are doing our very best to provide a new date as quickly as possible and we are in communication with Mr Bevan."

Read more from South Wales Evening Post

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters
  • brochadav  |  May 08 2014, 11:59AM

    So he hasn't really waited 8 years? It's hardly the NHS fault if his operation went ahead and had to be stopped, or should they have continued and killed him? But now his GP has given the all clear, hopefully he'll get his treatment soon. Unplanned ops are unfortunate, but they happen. Also, his being a veteran is fairly irrelevant, no one should have such a long wait for essential treatment!!