Login Register

Toddler rushed to A&E - after being served whisky in a Swansea restaurant

By South Wales Evening Post  |  Posted: October 11, 2012

  • Nina Rees with her son Sonny

  • Sonny drinking the whisky and water at Frankie and Benny’s

Comments (0)

A TWO-YEAR-OLD child was rushed to hospital after drinking from a glass of whisky which was accidentally served to him in a Swansea restaurant.

Sonny Rees was served the spirit, mixed with water, and drank from the glass through straws after being taken to Frankie and Benny’s restaurant in the city centre to celebrate his second birthday.

It is thought the family’s order became mixed up with that from another table.

Restaurant bosses have now apologised for serving the youngster with alcohol.

Around 10 of Sonny’s extended family, including grandparents and uncles and aunts, visited the restaurant in Wind Street to celebrate his birthday last Saturday, as well that of another family member. But it was not until they were finishing their first course that they realised the mix-up.

Mum Nina said: “I immediately went into a panic and a rage.

“I was crying my eyes out, and called NHS Direct, which told me to take him straight to A&E.

“I felt the reaction of staff at first was awful.

“They said it couldn’t have happened, and just went and got him some water and walked off. I felt they more or less dismissed me.

“We had gone in just after noon and I had ordered him water and cordial.

“I realised what Sonny had been drinking when I had to retrieve a dropped toy from his glass and I could smell the whisky on it.

“I think there was a stag do in there at the same time and that the drinks had been accidentally mixed up.

“Because he was eating salty things I had been encouraging him to drink.”

The birthday meal, for which they had bought two special birthday cakes, was abandoned while Sonny’s parents took him to Morriston Hospital.

He was asleep by the time he arrived at A&E and was later given the all-clear by medics following tests. But after getting back to the family home in Pontarddulais, he was sick.

Managers at the restaurant gave the family a 50 per cent discount to the bill and called the family the following day to apologise.

Managers at Frankie and Benny’s said: “The company is incredibly sorry for what happened. It was a human error and we are putting measures in place to ensure it never happens again.”

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters
  • hacker_jack  |  October 12 2012, 10:02AM

    U never heard of the Zero harm campaign in industry. --------------- That's a TATA internal campaign, not an industry one.

    Rate 0
    Report
  • maxmin  |  October 12 2012, 10:02AM

    Neathboy CLM In your post of 1546 Oct 11th you state: " My friend it a criminal offence to give alcohol to young children. It's not ridiculous, you attitude to the law leaves a lot to be desired."(sic) We're all still waiting with bated breath for you to tell us exactly where it says it is illegal to give alcohol to young children. Since my attitude to the law leaves a lot to be desired, and presumably you know a lot more about the law than I do, it shouldn't be too difficult for you to quote chapter and verse on this. I

    Rate 0
    Report
  • hacker_jack  |  October 12 2012, 10:01AM

    by Neathboy234Thursday, October 11 2012, 3:14PM "SensibleJohn there is no such thing as a mistake or an accident. Everything is caused by someone's carelessness. If you worked in a dangerous industry, i'm sure U would see things differently. It is a common myth that accidents will always take place, this is not so. If u can go one day without an accident, then u can go another and another." ------------------------ That's just ridiculous. I DO work in a potentially dangerous factory and yes you are partially right, mistakes and accidents can always be avoided. But there is a things called practicality and possibility that you have to weigh up. To catch all possible oversights you would have to practically shut down any kind of activity. To make sure they never serve another kid alcohol they would have to stop having it on the premises at all. In a factory because of the risk involved them massive precautions are taken to ensure that certain mistakes can't happen. That is not practicable in this case. Clearly you have no idea about Health and Safety yourself or you would know this.

    Rate   2
    Report
  • hacker_jack  |  October 12 2012, 9:55AM

    Neathboy: I think you'll find this is the main news on bbc wales. --------- They picked it up AFTER it was posted on here because it's a sensationalist headline.

    Rate   1
    Report
  • hacker_jack  |  October 12 2012, 9:52AM

    by Neathboy234Thursday, October 11 2012, 12:20PM "hacker_jack so according to U it's up to the patents to check if there is any alcohol. in a drink served to a child. ------------- Neathboy it's up to a responsible parent to watch their two year old child yes. The drink looks nothing like anything you would order for a child, unless you know of a cordial that results in a liquid that colour? Like I said, I don't absolve the restaurant, I just want the parents to be more responsible as well instead of just blaming someone else.

    Rate   4
    Report
  • swanseajock  |  October 11 2012, 11:49PM

    I love whisky, but still grimace a bit when drinking the less single malt stuff. I can only imagine that if I was 2 I would be spitting it out in disgust, even diluted with water.

    Rate   9
    Report
  • Eureka1963  |  October 11 2012, 9:55PM

    I was given diluted whisky when I was young, best thing for a sore throat my Grandmother would say. Never did me any harm (hic), yur my bestish (hic) friends (hic) you are...Zzzzzzzzz

    Rate   6
    Report
  • jackswan2012  |  October 11 2012, 8:11PM

    That mistake however simple should never have occured,also the customer service was very bad aswel by the looks of it.I think their drinks license should be suspended for a month.That is the only way they will learn not to make the mistakes again.

    Rate   -10
    Report
  • Kilroy238  |  October 11 2012, 6:53PM

    What a way to over dramatize a simple mistake. I'd have been angry but in tears running to the ER screaming about how my precious snow flake has been damaged a tad ludicrous. As for Neathboy234 ranting about Oh GOD IT"S AGAINST THE LAW... Please get a grip it's against the law to knowingly serve alcohol yes but this was a simple mistake. Human error no blood no foul. It's amazing to think how that we have become so "civilized" that everyone forgets all the stuff that were given to kids on purpose for whatever reason. If kids could survive Paregoric and all the other **** we've fed them in the past, then they should be able to survive a few sips of alcohol today.

    Rate   24
    Report
  • Dooyah  |  October 11 2012, 6:03PM

    hywel79 and SensibleJohn So far, it has been reported in/on:- BBC News Daily Mail Daily Telegraph The Guardian ITV News Western Mail + 4 pages of links on google. No doubt there will be more to come.

    Rate   11
    Report

      YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

       
       

      MORE NEWS HEADLINES

       
       
       

      MOST POPULAR