Login Register

TIMELINE: The 2013 Swansea measles outbreak

By SWEPAlex  |  Posted: April 19, 2013

TIMELINE: The 2013 Swansea measles outbreak
Comments (0)

While cases of measles had been rising in the months before, the first news of the outbreak emerged in early February when there were 10 cases at a city primary school.

February 2: Announcement that pupils at Parkland Primary were to be vaccinated following a suspected measles outbreak.Ten children at the Sketty Park were believed to have come down with the contagious illness, part of a sharp rise in the number of cases seen across Swansea, Neath Port Talbot and Bridgend in the preceding months.

March 1: Parents urged to make sure their children receive the MMR vaccination, as health revealed a total of 189 cases of measles diagnosed in people living in the Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University Health Board area since November, with cases in 32 secondary and primary schools and nurseries.

March 7: The figure rises to 209 cases of measles across Swansea and Neath Port Talbot in the outbreak, which included cases among pupils at 32 primary and secondary schools.

Related content

March 19: 64 secondary and primary schools and nurseries in the region affected by the outbreak, with reported cases rising to 252. Morriston comprehensive head teacher Wayne Newton  said children with measles are paying the price for not being vaccinated against it, as cases in the school hit 16.

March 27: Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University Health Board public health director Sara Hayes said 432 cases had been reported, with 110 schools having one or more cases of measles. However it is also revealed that 8,000 children in the Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University Health Board area not protected by the MMR jab.

March 29: Crisis measures introduced as the measles epidemic sweeping Swansea threatens to escalate ahead of the Easter holiday. Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University Health Board announced plans for a community-based MMR vaccination programme offering immunisation sessions in places like schools and hospitals.

April 5: Powys Teaching Health Board reveals that 41 cases have now been reported in the county.

April 6: Around 1,200 people given the MMR jab at drop-in clinics at hospitals in Swansea, Neath Port Talbot and Bridgend on Saturday in an attempt to tackle the current outbreak of the virus.

April 13: Parents urged to sign consent forms allowing their children to be vaccinated against measles as comprehensive schools in Swansea and Neath Port Talbot prepare to host MMR vaccination clinics, targeting 2,000 children.

April 13: Around 2,000 people were vaccinated over the weekend as vaccination sessions were held at Morriston, Singleton and Neath Port Talbot hospitals.

April 17: Plans to be offer the MMR vaccine next week at more specially arranged immunisation sessions in schools, targeting another 1,700 children were announced.

April 19: News emerged of the first suspected measles-related death in Swansea.

Read more from South Wales Evening Post

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES