Login Register

Stoke City 2 Swansea City 0

By SWEP_DafP  |  Posted: September 29, 2012

Michael Laudrup

Comments (0)

SWANSEA City suffered a third successive Premier League defeat as they were beaten 2-0 by Stoke City at the Britannia Stadium.

Two first-half goals from Peter Crouch were enough to see off the Swans, who struggled to cope with Stoke's direct approach and offered little in attack.

Swansea made three changes from the side which lost to Everton in their last Premier League outing, with Chico Flores, Leon Britton and Nathan Dyer replacing Alan Tate, Jonathan de Guzman and Wayne Routledge.

As expected, Stoke launched a series of long balls into the Swansea penalty area, and the visitors were unconvincing in dealing with these attacks.

The hosts were quick to sense the aerial weakness in the Swans' defence and it took only 12 minutes for them to capitalise on that flaw with a goal.

It came in predictable circumstances. Glenn Whelan curled in a corner towards Crouch, who had the freedom of the six-yard box to power a free header past Michel Vorm.

Swansea showed only flickering menace in attack, with Danny Graham shooting straight at Asmir Begovic and Michu letting fly with a 20-yard effort which swirled past the far post.

Apart from those fleeting threats, Stoke were dominant.

The hosts kept the ball in the Swansea half and, as they applied heavy pressure, there was a sense of inevitability about their second goal.

Michael Kightly, impressive on the right wing, floated a cross to the back post which Crouch controlled despite the close attention of Angel Rangel.

The ball then squirmed free to Jonathan Walters and again to Crouch, whose first shot was saved by Vorm before he converted the rebound.

The Potters led 2-0 at half time, though they seemed to be playing within themselves. Rarely did Tony Pulis's side have to enter top gear but they kept the ball in Swansea's half for long periods, suffocating the visitors and denying them any meaningful possession.

Swansea were more forceful in the second half, with Ki Sung-Yueng a driving force in midfield.

After 54 minutes, the Swans thought they had won themselves a penalty but young left-back Ben Davies was booked after he was deemed to have dived under pressure from Kightly.

Davies had a hand in the visitors' next chance as his corner found Graham, but the former Watford man blazed over from eight yards.

For the remaining half an hour, Stoke coasted. Crouch headed against the bar and, apart from the occasional burst forward, the hosts were happy to hold on for a first win of the season.

Read more from South Wales Evening Post

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters