ABM Health Board has reminded the public that GP surgeries and local chemists are open as usual on New Year’s Eve.
Assistant Medical Director for Primary Care, Dr Jane Harrison, said: “Local healthcare services such as your GP surgery and pharmacy are open as normal on New Year’s Eve - Monday, December 31, 2012.
“Unfortunately, some people forget this and arrive at the emergency department with a minor illness that can be dealt with by their GP or local pharmacist.
“It’s also important patients make sure they have enough medication to cover the bank holiday when their GP surgery will be closed."
Dr Harrison said people who attend the A&E when it isn’t appropriate not only put unnecessary pressure on the department but can also face a longer time for treatment.
Other healthcare services available in the Bridgend, Neath Port Talbot and Swansea areas include:
· Your local pharmacist or chemist.
· NHS Direct – telephone 0845 4647 – available 24/7.
· GP Surgery
· GP Out of Hours Service – telephone 0330 123 9180 – available 6.30pm – 8am Monday – Friday and 24 hours a day on Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays.
· Minor Injury Unit – Neath Port Talbot Hospital – available 24/7.
· Minor Injury Unit – Singleton Hospital – available 8am – 8pm every day.
Visit www.choosewellwales.org.uk to help you choose the most appropriate healthcare service.