Login Register
 °

Safety breach takeaway had dirty floor and filthy utensils

By South Wales Evening Post  |  Posted: July 20, 2013

  • poor hygiene Pictures illustrating some of the hygiene breaches at the South Sea takeaway.

A TAKEAWAY which had filthy utensils and dirty floors has been fined after food safety officers found a number of breaches.

Wen Ling Chen, the owner of the South Sea Chinese takeaway in Port Tennant has been hit with fines, costs and charges of almost £5,000.

Officers found a filthy, stained chopping board, a tin opener covered in dirt and debris on the floor of the takeaway on Port Tennant Road.

He pleaded guilty to 12 breaches of Food Hygiene (Wales) Regulations 2006 after inspectors carried out four unannounced visits, three last year and another this year.

Swansea Magistrates' Court heard in February last year the takeaway agreed a voluntary closure because it had no hot water. It remained shut until a new boiler was fitted.

On the second visit a Hygiene Improvement Notice was issued because of a failure to train staff in food hygiene or have a proper food safety management system.

Magistrates were told that seven of the 12 offences arose from a third visit in September last year, when officers were confronted with large quantities of accumulated food debris on and under cooking ranges, sinks, fridges and floors. They also discovered dirty food preparation equipment and fixtures and fittings were not effectively cleaned, inadequately cooked rice and inadequately-thawed pork ribs.

They found similar issues in March this year and brought five further charges.

Warned

Mr Chen, who appeared unrepresented at court, was fined £250 for each of the 12 offences and ordered to pay costs of £1,959 and a victim surcharge of £300.

Swansea Council has now warned businesses to keep their premises clean.

June Burtonshaw, Cabinet Member for Place, said: "Customers expect a decent standard of food hygiene from takeaways, restaurants and other food businesses so they can reassured that what they're buying won't make them ill.

"Hopefully this latest case will send out a strong message to other businesses in Swansea that provide food that we will act if hygiene levels are not at an acceptable level."

Read more from South Wales Evening Post

 
 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES