Login Register

Ragged make their numerical advantage count in cup win

By South Wales Evening Post  |  Posted: November 21, 2012

Comments (0)

RAGGED School's long love affair with the FAW Trophy continued as they overcame last season's Swansea Senior League champions Penlan 4-3 in the fourth round.

It was a match that saw Penlan have three men sent off, but at the same time Ragged produced their best performance of the season to date.

The long-awaited head to head of managers Paul Sullivan of Penlan Club and Lee Sullivan of Ragged School didn't materialise as Lee had work commitments, but in his absence Ragged were superb and should have gone ahead sooner than they did.

Nano Totarella was fouled after five minutes, but Lee Griffin missed from the spot to let Penlan off.

Matthew Dowling put the visitors 1-0 up when he ran through the Penlan defence to make the most of an excellent through ball.

Totarella doubled Ragged's lead when he also broke the offside trap.

Ragged were good value for their 2-0 half-time lead, but a resurgent Penlan were back in the match after five minutes of the second period when Graham Dutton's handball in the area allowed Dale Otten the opportunity to make it 2-1.

Ragged restored their two-goal advantage when Alex McKinley's free-kick found Dowling, who was well positioned to slot home from close range.

Dale Otten's free-kick from 30 yards midway through the second half would have graced any level and by now Penlan were applying serious pressure to the Ragged rearguard.

Penlan duly made it 3-3 to force extra time through Jamie James via a goalmouth scramble after Dutton had headed against the Penlan bar.

With Ragged making their numerical advantage count, John Jordan fed Jordan Bijea on the break and his cool finish was enough to separate the two sides.

Penlan Club : D. Hulland, R. Connachie, J. Osbourne, S. Roberts, A. Carroll, K. Mucha, D. Otten, J. James, G. Morrell, K. Crabb, L. Morgan. Subs: J. Day, P. Lewis, D. Owen, C. Charles, M. Yates.

Ragged School : R. Evans, D. Rowe, L. Griffin, G. Dutton, J. Bijea, A. McKinley, N. Lloyd, T. Spooner, D. Sullivan, M. Dowell, N. Totarella. Subs: R. Vincent, J. Jordan, A. Totarella, D. Lockie.

Kilvey's maiden season in the FAW Trophy continued as they put in a remarkable performance to win 3-2 at Sully Sports.

Kilvey's day got off to the worst possible start when Steven Davey gave away a penalty after just five minutes.

Sully went 1-0 up from the spot and then doubled their advantage when Ashleigh John gave away a penalty for a foul after ten minutes.

When Andrew Bonomi hit the post on 15 minutes, Sully must have felt it was going to be their day.

Kilvey's task became even harder when Steven Stokes was dismissed in the first half and the visitors were glad to get to half-time just 2-0 down.

Andrew Lorey was introduced in the second half and his use of the ball gave the hosts problems as Kilvey's dominance grew.

Just as it looked like Kilvey were going to get back into the match, Luke Chappell got sent off for an off-the-ball incident.

Kyle James came on for James Harper and from there on Kilvey did not look back.

A short corner found Ashleigh John on the edge of the area who thundered home a 25-yard drive.

Jordan Vickers became the last of the permitted subs to be used and he played a key role in Kilvey's turnaround which started when Bonomi was played in by Andrew Lorey to make it 2-2.

By now, nine-man Kilvey were well on top and with extra time looming Vickers found the top corner of the net from 25 yards after beating two men and cutting inside to give Kilvey a remarkable win with just two minutes remaining.

Kilvey Fords : M. Collins, A. Johns, S. Stokes, L. Otten, S. Davey, J. Harper, D. Lambrick, S. Berry, A. Lewis, A. Bonomi, L. Chappell. Subs: M. Tyrell, A. Lorey, K. James, J. Vickers, J. Goshawk.

Read more from South Wales Evening Post

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters