Login Register

Pupils and staff take up MMR jab offer at school

By South Wales Evening Post  |  Posted: April 20, 2013

  • vaccination day Cwmtawe Comprehensive School pupil Brandon John, 13, is vaccinated by school nurse Carolyn Rees.

  • protected Cwmtawe Comprehensive School pupil Brandon John (above, right), 13, is vaccinated by school nurse Carolyn Rees while Elliott Campisi, 12 (above), gets his jab from nurse Claire Dare. SWRM20130419A-003_C

Comments (45)

AROUND 70 pupils in a Swansea Valley school have now had the MMR jab after being shown the way by their teachers.

Health professionals visited Cwmtawe Comprehensive, in Pontardawe, as part of Neath Port Talbot Council's School Immunisation Programme against measles, in partnership with Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University Health Board.

Assistant head teacher, Steve Dellow said: "It has been a topic of concern but we have inoculations every year.

"Any pupils who are on the database and haven't had the MMR inoculations done privately, or when younger, are having them here today.

"It was a choice for parents but they all shared our concerns, wanting to safeguard and look after the wellbeing of their children."

Mr Dellow, who said that no pupil from Cwmtawe had contacted measles of late, added: "I didn't have it myself when I was younger so I also had it today.

"We offered it to all our staff and 15 members took the opportunity to get inoculated." Meanwhile, the pupils who had the jab said that it was nowhere near as bad as some thought it might be.

Amisha Price, 15, from Ystalyfera, said: "I'm really worried about having measles so I'm glad that the school has done this for us to save us going to the doctor."

Elliot Campisi, 12, of Bryncoch, said: "I was a little bit nervous before hand but it was all right. It was just in and out. really.

The school gave us a letter to take home and my mother said yeah. I don't want to catch measles."

Grace Cosovic, 12, of Glais, said: "I was a bit nervous but it was ok, just a bit of a pinch.

"I have been following the news and I didn't want to catch measles."

And Brandon John, 13, of Pontardawe, said: "I was a little bit worried beforehand but I didn't feel anything."

He added: "I didn't have the MMR jab when I was young."

Read more from South Wales Evening Post

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

45 comments

  • Chris_Jones1  |  May 11 2013, 9:51PM

    Thank you for confirming my point Ewen

    |   1
  • EwenM  |  May 11 2013, 2:23PM

    It's only 'very strange' if you're a stranger to thinking. The Gwent notifications are rising but the confirmed cases have not shown any increase. It's almost as if it takes time to have a notified case tested and confirmed in the lab, isn't it? Very strange, yes... Which just goes to show why it's important to keep an eye on the notifications - if we were to wait for the confirmed case data we would still think that there was nothing to worry about in Gwent.

    |   -1
  • Chris_Jones1  |  May 11 2013, 2:03PM

    As of the Public health Wales figures released on May 7th, the figure is 279 confirmed,with the figure gone up by 13 to 292 since then, with the vast majority of these in the Swansea and Port Talbot area, see link: http://tinyurl.com/bq24u3j This compares with 1,237 notified only figures across the whole of Wales that you supply in your link. It is also very strange of Public Health Wales to declare that: "Public Health Wales is particularly concerned about the Gwent area, where 84 measles cases have been notified since November 2012 and almost 10,000 young people aged 10 to 18 are still not vaccinated" Gwent figures supplied by Public Health Wales' own report (found in above link) show a reasonable non epidemic 17 new cases in 2013, with Blaenau Gwent itself having zero new cases in 2013. I will tell you one thing-Public Health Wales lost my trust and benefit of the doubt a long time ago

    |   1
  • EwenM  |  May 11 2013, 9:41AM

    Chris I don't know where that 245 confirmed cases figure comes from, but it's not the link you posted. 886 cases were notified on April 23rd http://tinyurl.com/bqfh9hw which also records the "80 people admitted to hospital since the start of the outbreak" - not so trivial, this outbreak, is it? The figure of 1039 measles cases is from this press release from May 2nd: http://tinyurl.com/cecm5cz which actually goes on to say "The number of laboratory confirmed cases in the outbreak stands at 370 out of a total of 850 samples tested". So, that should be fairly clear, shouldn't it? There have been two press releases since then: http://tinyurl.com/cfqyz5z 10th May, 1074 cases in the area, 1237 in Wales http://tinyurl.com/d8fwzw9 8th May, figures of 1061 and 1224 Each one refers to 'reported' cases, not 'confirmed' cases.

    |   -1
  • Chris_Jones1  |  May 10 2013, 7:56PM

    As of the press release issued by Public Health Wales on May 1st 2013: http://tinyurl.com/coe6mgy Press release This shows 886 notified cases of measles. 245 of these have had a laboratory confirmation of measles - this is from the start of the year to now and mostly in the Swansea area-hardly a sweeping epidemic. As the latest press release shows, Public Health Wales continues to present misleading information by stating there been 1,039 cases of measles in the Abertawe Bro Morgannwg, Hywel Dda and Powys health board areas. This is simply not true as these are reported cases, not confirmed cases.

    |   1
  • EwenM  |  May 07 2013, 6:22PM

    "The number of laboratory confirmed cases in the outbreak stands at 370 out of a total of 850 samples tested." Public Health Wales, May 2nd: http://tinyurl.com/cecm5cz

    |   -1
  • Chris_Jones1  |  May 06 2013, 5:49PM

    Sure thing. The links you've supplied are for 2012 only and are not specifically relevant to the 2013 Welsh measles outbreak that is being looked at here.The links i've supllied are for 2013 and are the specific official figures published by Public Health Wales and cover the recent Welsh outbreak. Are you therefore saying that the 2013 confirmed figures by Public Health Wales are incorrect? And regarding IgM in saliva levels tests, what proof do you have to back your accusation that these have not been included in the 26 confirmed cases?"

    |   1
  • EwenM  |  May 06 2013, 3:35PM

    Is that all you're going to do, Chris? Keep repeating the same questions I've already answered? I'm not playing your game. Feel free to ignore what I've explained and repeat yourself yet again.

    |   -1
  • Chris_Jones1  |  May 06 2013, 2:56PM

    Straw man arguments and bully boy tactics are highly unimpressive Ewen. I know we all have to earn our crust somehow and times are hard but you really have gone passed scraping the bottom of the barrel amigo The links you've supplied are for 2012. The links i've supllied are for 2013. Therfeore you are arguing against an existing set of figures by Public Health Wales for 2013 with a non existent set of figures. I will ask my question again and also add another: Are you saying that the 2013 confirmed figures by Public Health Wales are incorrect? And regarding IgM in saliva levels tests, what proof do you have to back your accusation that these have not been included in the 26 confirmed cases?

    |   1
  • EwenM  |  May 06 2013, 1:19PM

    I'm not going to repeat myself any more; either you can't or won't understand what I've already said. I notice David Icke has bought into the over-diagnosis argument. If ever there was a warning that you were talking nonsense, it would be when Icke chips in to agree: http://tinyurl.com/cnuxcsm

    |   -1

      YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

       
       
       

      MORE NEWS HEADLINES