Login Register

Pet cat saved sleeping owner by biting her when room filled with smoke

By Rarken  |  Posted: December 20, 2013

27839586
Comments (0)

A PET cat saved her sleeping owner when fire broke out - by biting her on the hand.

Tracie Horgan-Hodgkiss, 39, was fast asleep when her bedroom started filling with thick black smoke in the early hours.

But Tracie felt her hand being nibbled by two-year-old tortoiseshell Taffy and realised something was wrong.

She dialled 999 and minutes later firemen put up a ladder to the bedroom window at her home in Bridgend.

Tracie handed Taffy over to firemen first and was then helped down the ladder to safety.

She was taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation and firefighters said she owed her life to her pet.

Tracie said: "Taffy carried on biting my hand until I woke up - I don't think I'd be here now but for her.

"I thought the smoke alarm was my alarm clock and ignored it.

"I'm afraid Taffy scratched one of the firemen so I had to say sorry for that."

Bridgend fire station watch manager Roger Mangan said: "Tracie was very lucky - we got there just at the right time."

A 39-year-old man, who is unknown to Tracie, has been arrested on suspicion of arson and was today in custody.

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES

 
 
 

MOST POPULAR