Login Register
 °

Peaceful protest against use of land as second Swansea travellers site to be held in Gorseinon

By South Wales Evening Post  |  Posted: March 14, 2013

By Rupert Hall

opinions   The meeting about the proposed travellers' site.

opinions The meeting about the proposed travellers' site.

Comments (3)

CAMPAIGNERS fighting against two sites in Gorseinon becoming home to Gypsies and travellers will hold a peaceful protest at the sites.

Swansea Council has been consulting with people across the authority since December last year on plans to find a second site for travellers.

Swansea is already home to one site but this is full and the council is considering five potential areas including land on either side of Heol y Mynydd as a location for the second site.

Campaigners, protesters and people living in the Gorseinon and Grovesend areas have held a series of formal and informal public meetings to provide information on how to take part in the consultation and gauge public reaction.

A rally and peaceful protest will take place at 3pm on Sunday with campaigners being asked to meet at the Somerfield Car Park in Gorseinon and follow a route taking in Cecil Road, the proposed Melin Mynach site and Pontarddulais Road.

Posters promoting the event have been distributed in Gorseinon.

Those behind the campaign are looking into obtaining village green status for the Melin Mynach site which would involve putting a proposal to Swansea Council and subsequently a public inquiry.

Petitions are also circulating in Gorseinon encouraging people to sign up and oppose the development of a travellers site on either Melin Mynach or land on the opposite side of the road earmarked for cemetery use.

More than 500 people packed a public meeting in the Brighton Road Club on Tuesday night in Gorseinon to receive information on how best to take part in the consultation process.

Gorseinon Town Council mayor Malcolm Curtis chaired the meeting and said: "It was absolutely packed out. The meeting was designed to provide information to people. People were very disappointed that two sites have been chosen for potentially housing travellers in Gorseinon.

"Parc Melin Mynach is home to an ancient monument, the old mill where the monks used to come from Neath to grind corn.

"It is the only green space left in Gorseinon."

Mr Curtis said the meeting at the Brighton Road Club was peaceful and orderly. He added: "We had a gentleman tell us there is a Red Kite up there (Parc Melin Mynach) and protected species of flowers and different wild animals which would all be disturbed if a site comes there."

Swansea Council has set up a dedicated website for the consultation process.

There will also be an exhibition into potential locations for a second travellers' site at the Civic Centre in Swansea from Monday, March 18, to Thursday, March 28.

A meeting is being held tomorrow at the Marriott Hotel, organised by the Swansea West Business Park Forum, to discuss a former Greyhound track at Fforestfach which is one of the five sites with the potential to become a second location for travellers.

Read more from South Wales Evening Post

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

3 comments

  • keithcat  |  March 17 2013, 7:45PM

    April last year, Council Leader Chris Holley, promised that the site next to the 'Valeo' site would never be used for travellers:- http://tinyurl.com/d9mcqmv Then we elected this Labour council, and within 9 months they're shortlisting Gorseinon for a traveller site. As big a two fingers to us as I can think of.

  • hmdavies  |  March 14 2013, 2:31PM

    I can only echo gingerjam above - despite several phone calls to the police over the course of a week, we were not informed that the request needed to be put in writing to both the police and the Local Authority. However, we are now meeting on the Melyn Mynach site at 3pm on 17 March - we will be congregating on the area directly opposite Toyoda Gosei on Heol y Mymydd. There is a gate leading into the Melyn Mynach area and that is where we will meet. It will be a GATHERING rather than a MARCH. THIS WAS CLEARLY STATED ON AT LEAST TWO OCCASIONS AT THE PUBLIC MEETING on Tuesday.

    |   3
  • gingerjam  |  March 14 2013, 7:35AM

    Due to being given the wrong information by the police the PEACEFUL PROTEST /RALLY can no longer be a march and people are kindly asked to meet on melyn mynach as we are allowed to gather.There will be no routr up cecil rd or pontardulais rd.

    |   9

      YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

       
       
       

      MORE NEWS HEADLINES