Login Register

Pair caught dealing drugs after police smelt cannabis coming from their car

By SWEPRMosalski  |  Posted: June 24, 2013

Swansea Crown Court

TWO friends were caught dealing drugs by police after officers smelt cannabis coming from their car.

Ricky Mason and Daniel Addis were approached by police while they were on Station Road in Skewen on January 12.

Officers had smelt the Class B drug coming from the car and asked if they had any drugs with them.

Mason then gave them a bag with 1.9g of the drug inside. Police then searched the car and found 124g more in a carrier bag. Those drugs had a street value of between £884 and £1,550.

Officers also recovered up to £900 in cash and a further small wrap from Mason.

Mason admitted offering to supply cannabis and possession of the drug. Addis admitted supplying it, possession with intent to supply and possession.

Prosecutor John Lloyd told Swansea Crown Court officers also found small empty bags and a “dealer’s list” containing phone numbers.

In his interview, Addis, of Burrows Road, said he would buy cannabis in bulk and use around half himself and then sell the remainder to make a profit. He said Mason, of Dynevor Road, had become involved by sending text messages to set up deals.

Mason told police he had not been making money out of the deal.

Francis Jones, for Addis, said his 21-year-old client had become addicted to the drug after trying to stop an alcohol addiction and had begun using more and more cannabis, eventually ending up with a £20 a day habit.

He said Addis had now had help from his GP and dramatically reduced his reliance on the drug.

“His arrest has been a wake-up call to him. The realisation of the criminal justice system and what it means has been an awful shock to him,” said Mr Jones.

Geraint Walters, for Mason, aged 19, said a pre-sentence report prepared for the court talked about his client in “glowing terms”.

“He comes from a good background and it’s a mystery to all that he should have ended up in this sort of trouble,” said Mr Walters.

“He’s a young man who will never trouble the courts again” he added.

Judge Huw Davies, sentencing the pair, said Mason had got involved thinking selling the drugs was “something of an adventure”.

He sentenced Addis to 12 months in prison, suspended for two years.

Mason received a 12 month community order including supervision.

Read more from South Wales Evening Post