A MAN has died in a house fire in Llanelli.
Calls were made to emergency services at 4.45pm on Thursday reporting a fire at a house on Heol Dinbych, in Penyfan.
Dyfed-Powys Police have now confirmed that a man, believed to be Polish, died in the fire.
Vanessa Vaughan, of Penyfan Road, saw the fire take hold from her house.
She said: "God, it's quite shocking in this area."
The mum said she believed the deceased man was Polish.
"He's quite well known in the street," she added.
Describing the lead up to the fire, she said: "A bloke came saying do we want cavity wall insulation and then we saw the flames at the back bedroom window.
"Everybody at the school this morning was asking about it. If you know the person, or you don't, it is still awful."
The 50-year-old said she and her daughter had seen the fire break out and emergency services arriving.
Police, two Llanelli fire crews, and an emergency ambulance attended.
"They've been here all day and night," the mum said, speaking yesterday. "We were just saying we hope to God they are alright."
A spokeswoman for Dyfed-Powys Police said that on arrival at the house on Thursday, it was confirmed that a man was inside the property.
"Tragically he was pronounced dead at the scene," the police spokeswoman added.
Another resident, who did not want to be named, claimed the flames had been licking out of the roof.
"It's very quiet round here, it's a hell of a shock. We don't see much trouble here," he said.
Police officers are making inquiries to trace the man's next of kin and a formal identification of the body had yet to take place at the time of going to print.
At the scene, staff from the fire service have been visiting the residents in the neighbouring houses carrying out smoke alarm checks.
Regarding the cause of the fire, police and fire service inquiries are ongoing.