Login Register

Neath Lottery winner Gavin Davies jailed for possessing drug

By South Wales Evening Post  |  Posted: September 27, 2012

Gavin Davies

A NEATH Lottery winner serving a prison sentence for assaulting his former partner has appeared in court again.

Gavin Davies, 30, was jailed for 16 months in July after admitting a prolonged three-hour attack on his girlfriend.

He was already facing another matter, of possessing cannabis, a class B drug, when the matter appeared at Swansea Crown Court earlier this year.

Davies was arrested in March for the drugs offence, which he has now been sentenced for.

A 16-week sentence was imposed by Llanelli Magistrates.

That sentence will run consecutively with his existing sentence imposed at Swansea Crown Court.

Last year, Davies, a former cage fighter, won £1 million on the EuroMillions draw and bought a Lamborghini, with which he posed for photos outside Morgan’s Hotel in Adelaide Street, Swansea. He also bought a home in Ammanford.

In July, he was given a 16-month sentence for causing actual bodily harm on April 20 and a two month concurrent term for common assault on December 31 to his partner, and mother of his young child. The Post has chosen not to name her.

During the three-hour attack on April 20 Davies, 30, tried to strangle his girlfriend with a seatbelt, knocked her to the floor and put his teeth around her nose. She was left with bruises to her eye, ear and nose, which had to be reset under anaesthetic.

On the date of the attack on April 20, the victim had planned a “family day out”. But Davies forgot, causing the couple to argue.

They had left their home in Dyffryn Road, Ammanford, and were driving to Swansea when the assault began.

As they approached the M4, Davies pulled into a lay-by and told his victim to get out. When she refused, he used her seatbelt to try to strangle her, leaving her with a 5ins abrasion on her neck.

They continued arguing as they later drove around Neath and he began punching her repeatedly while he was driving.

In the heated attack, he also grabbed her head, hitting it on the steering wheel and forced her head onto his legs.

She said the attack left her “fearing for her life”.

It was the second assault he had committed against her.

On New Year's Eve, Davies admitted grabbing his victim “like a doll”, holding the back of her head while repeatedly forcing it into the sofa at their then home in Cimla, Neath.

Frank Phillips, who appeared for Davies at the crown court sentencing, said his client had shown “deep remorse” for the attack.


Read more from South Wales Evening Post