Login Register

Michael Laudrup demands top signings if he is to stay at Swansea City

By South Wales Evening Post  |  Posted: May 25, 2013

Michaellaudrup

Michaellaudrup

Comments (10)

MICHAEL Laudrup will stay on at Swansea City next season - providing Huw Jenkins pledges to deliver the players he wants.

The Evening Post understands Laudrup has made it clear to Swansea's owners that he feels there is a need to invest heavily in the club's playing staff this summer.

The Dane's top priority is to add firepower to his frontline and he is targeting St Etienne's Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Wigan striker Arouna Kone, Celta Vigo frontman Iago Aspas and Chelsea starlet Romelu Lukaku.

Laudrup, wwho is attracting interest from a host of clubs, has stated repeatedly that it is his intention to remain as Swansea boss next year and he signed a 12-month contract extension in the spring which ties him to the Liberty till the summer of 2015.

Related content

However, it seems that concerns have arisen in the Laudrup camp about how Swansea will bolster their playing staff ahead of the impending Europa League campaign.

Laudrup has just masterminded what almost certainly goes down as Swansea's finest ever season and he has made it clear that, in his opinion, expectations must be raised ahead of 2013-14.

Swansea broke their transfer record twice last August to sign Ki Sung-Yueng and then Pablo Hernandez, but Laudrup thinks more major spending is required if his side are to build on the successes in the Premier League and the Capital One Cup.

It is believed he wants at least two new centre forwards and despite links with Kenwyne Jones in January, he is not interested in the Stoke target man.

He is keen on Aubameyang, the Gabon international who has scored 19 goals in 36 French Ligue 1 games last season and has also been linked with a number of other Premier League clubs including Tottenham and Newcastle.

Another player in his sights is Kone, who impressed for Roberto Martinez's Wigan side this season despite their relegation, scoring 13 goals in 38 appearences after signing from Levante last summer. And Laudrup has previously spelt out his admiration for both Aspas and Lukaku.

Aubameyang, Kone and Aspas will all command major transfer fees, while Chelsea could demand a sizeable loan fee for Lukaku if they opt to send the Belgian international for another temporary stint away from Stamford Bridge next season.

The big question now may be whether Swansea's board will sanction moves for such high-calibre players.

Read more from South Wales Evening Post

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

10 comments

  • JohnTosh  |  May 27 2013, 8:08AM

    But the board and Laudrup may have different views on players that we can afford

  • CroJack  |  May 26 2013, 4:21AM

    He never said that he wants "top signings" or "players we can't afford". Rubbish journalism.

    |   9
  • 2face  |  May 26 2013, 1:32AM

    Anybody who knows anything about Laudrup knows that he did NOT say this. I've been following him since 1982 when he first played for Brøndby. And I CAN tell you this is totally out of character. The only reason I can up with why SWEP would make up such a story. Is because this country has only known Laudrup for about a year. I think it's safe to say that this is a case of dishonest journalism. The article says "Trusted source" which gives the impression that they have some secret deep throat source on the Swansea City board of directors. What a load of c... They get this so called "scoop" from an interview with Sky Sports, not a trusted "source". Sky doesn't write what the question they asked Laudrup was. But you can with some certainty guess that it was something like this. (And when you read the answer, I think you'll agree.) Sky: "What made you decide to extent your contract with Swansea." And this is what Laudrup answered as quoted on Sky's website: Laudrup: "I wanted to stay because the club said they were going to strengthen their team. Of course we need to do that, but I'm sure they will keep their word about that. And then I want to stay for the fans and also for some of the players - they came for me so I can't just leave them after one season." As you can see it's completely different than what this article says. He did not "demand" top signings or else...... I can totally understand why players and managers get tired of journalists and sometimes stop talking to them. You try to build something positive. And then these weasels twist facts and stir up trouble for no other reason than getting a few extra clicks on a website.

    |   23
  • Philosoraptor  |  May 26 2013, 12:29AM

    If Laudrup said this Then why no quotes?

    |   9
  • pomphrey2005  |  May 25 2013, 5:21PM

    did this story start 40 miles up the m4 i wonder

    |   10
  • waunarlwydd  |  May 25 2013, 1:56PM

    He's probably said something and its been taken out of context. That's the media for you. He knows the score (pardon the pun!)

    |   12
  • decoded  |  May 25 2013, 1:49PM

    Mmmmm?

  • brochadav  |  May 25 2013, 12:09PM

    Oh come on. Does this sound like Laudrup? He knew the rules when he came here. He's not the type to rock the boat. And, knowing the rules, why rock the boat after recently committing to another years contract extension. I don't expect him to be here for that year mind you, it's to protect him and us. Lazy journalism and muck raking is all this is.

    |   22
  • JohnTosh  |  May 25 2013, 8:04AM

    In that case, let's hope he takes the door, if the board fails to buy the players he wants.

    |   -23
  • White_Rock  |  May 25 2013, 7:05AM

    If we can afford the players he wants then the club will make every effort to bring them in. If we can't afford them then we won't. That's how we do things around here. Laudrup knew that when he took the job. If he doesn't like it now he knows where the door is.

    |   4

      YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

       
       

      MORE NEWS HEADLINES