Login Register

Men fight in street in Garnant after Wales V France rugby game

By South Wales Evening Post  |  Posted: March 09, 2013

TWO pals punched and fought each other in front of a crowd in the street after watching a Wales rugby match on TV.

The pair were arrested for brawling in the street in Garnant on February 9.

Wales had been playing against France that afternoon and magistrates heard on Thursday that both men were very drunk.

When police arrived they saw a large group of men in the street shouting at each other.

Appearing in court in Llanelli was Thomas Spooner, 18, of Graig Road, Gwaun-cae-Gurwen.

He was joined in the dock by Kieran Lane, 19, of Brook Terrace, Tairgwaith, Ammanford.

Both men pleaded guilty to using threatening or insulting behaviour in a public place.

Spooner also pleaded guilty to possessing cannabis.

Prosecutor Ellie Morgan said the police were called at 9.30pm to a disturbance by the Raven Inn, in Garnant.

She said: "The police could see a huge group of people in the street shouting at each other.

"One portion of that group moved away towards the Constitutional Club."

She said onlookers had gathered and the police could hear shouting up the street.

"Two men were seen fighting, trading punches and shouting at each other in an alley."

The officers moved in and held the two men apart.

Ms Morgan added: "Lane was struggling with the officers and flailing his arms around. Both seemed to be drunk and were unsteady on their feet."

They were arrested and a small amount of cannabis was found in a pouch of tobacco belonging to Spooner.

Defence solicitor Gareth Jones said: "Both defendants are very good friends. They went out with friends to watch the rugby and consumed a large amount of alcohol.

"Mr Spooner was assaulted by an unknown man earlier and he then argued with his friend.

"Both defendants are extremely embarrassed they find themselves in court and apologise for their actions."

Lane, who works as a welder, was fined £110, and Spooner, because he is unemployed, was fined £95. They were each ordered to pay £85 court costs and a £20 victim surcharge.

Read more from South Wales Evening Post