Login Register

Man convicted of dangerous driving had previously caused death of Swansea man

By SWEPRMosalski  |  Posted: March 19, 2014

By Ruth Mosalski / ruth.mosalski@swwmedia.co.uk / @ruthmosalski

Police

Driver Colin Scarisbrick had already been convicted of causing death by dangerous driving

Comments (0)

A DRIVER who killed a school caretaker in a fit of road rage had already caused the death of another man in Swansea.

Colin Scarisbrick, aged 39, was convicted by a jury at Liverpool Crown Court within two hours. They convicted him of causing the death dad-of-two Jeff Argent by dangerous driving.

In December 1999, passenger Damien Tudor died when Scarisbrick’s car left at Panteg Road in Ystalyfera and collided with a lampost.

The following year, Scarisbrick was jailed at Swansea Crown Court for seven and a half years for two charges, one of dangerous driving and one of causing death by dangerous driving.

He had been driving at up to 100mph on Cyfyng Road, Ystalyfera in the Swansea Valley, even driving at 70mph after his tyres had been deflated by a stinger device.

In this latest case, Scarisbrick had been driving on a dual carriageway towards Liverpool on October 7 last year when he was seen tailgaiting Mr Argent.

A witness said she believed he was trying to intimidate Mr Argent.

A few miles later Scarisbrick’s van changed lanes and clipped Mr Argent’s Clio sending it off the road into a lamppost.

Mr Argent, aged 49, died at the scene.

After the jury convicted him of this latest offence, the judge told the jury about his previous conviction.

Scarisbrick, of no fixed address, was arrested later that day and replied: “Is this about that stupid thing this morning?”

He later admitted: “Yeah I deliberately cut him up” but claimed he was in fear that Mr Argent was going to beat him up and that was why he changed lanes.

He was told by the judge that he had been convicted on “overwhelming evidence”.

He warned him the maximum sentence is one of 14 years and to expect a “very substantial one.”

He was remanded in custody ahead of his sentencing next month.

Senior Crown Prosecutor Helen Graves said: “Scarisbrick has fought this all the way and pleaded not guilty, forcing Mr Argent’s family to go through the ordeal of a trial.

“Scarisbrick is clearly a danger to all road users with a string of convictions for similar offences, including another of causing death by dangerous driving.”

Read more from South Wales Evening Post

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES