A JOURNALIST from Carmarthenshire has been seized by militiamen in Libya.
His family have spoken of their shock and are appealing to the British Government to help.
Gareth Montgomery Johnson was working as a cameraman in Libya but went missing on Wednesday. Fellow British journalist and reporter Nicholas Davies-Jones is also missing, as well as two Libyan men.
The Foreign Office confirmed yesterday that the two British men had been detained but did not provide any more information.
According to reports, the group have been seized by a Libyan militia in the city of Misratah.
Gareth's sister, Melanie Gribble, from Pontargothi, near Carmarthen, said: "I am asking the Government to please do everything they can and keep us informed."
The family first heard something had happened when they received a chilling telephone call at 7.30am on Thursday.
Melanie said: "I'd just got out of bed when one of his friends called me and asked if it was true."
She said he told them of a report on the website of Gareth's company, PressTV, which said the group had been detained.
The report said a militia called the Misratah Brigade had detained the men and were holding them in Tripoli.
Melanie added: "We understand that website is legitimate because that's where his articles are published."
Gareth grew up in Llansteffan and went to school at Queen Elizabeth Maridunum School in Carmarthen.
He joined Iranian TV station PressTV as a journalist last year and has been covering the conflict in Libya since last July.
Ms Gribble added that the family now face an anxious wait for more information.
A Foreign Office spokeswoman said: "We can confirm that two British nationals have been detained in Libya. Our embassy in Tripoli is providing a consular service to them."