Login Register

Leaflet drop aims to stop plans for new traveller site

By South Wales Evening Post  |  Posted: November 15, 2012

By nino williams

Comments (0)

THOUSANDS of homes are being leafleted in a bid to stop a second site for travellers being established in Llansamlet.

Leaflets are being delivered to properties across the ward, including those in Clase, Swansea Vale and Trallwn, calling on residents opposed to a second site to support the campaign and voice their opposition to Swansea Council against any potential site proposal.

They have been put together by a group of residents opposed to a second site, and are being delivered by volunteers.

The leaflet gives details of another public meeting next week to discuss the issue — and promises to update those who attend with developments.

Peniel Green Road resident Hillary Jenkins said: "We are trying to get an organised campaign going against a potential second travellers' site in Llansamlet.

"I think the main reason people are so upset is because we have a history of illegal sites in the area.

"We still believe there was an agreement in 1986, the West Glamorgan Agreement, which meant while we expected to have one site, we would never have another.

"One is enough, and we think other areas should be considered.

"We are not racist, or against gypsies, but we just feel we have one and that is enough. Perhaps the best thing to do would be to have a number of small sites across Swansea."

The campaign comes after Swansea Council agreed to a public consultation so people can give views on suggested sites for gypsies and travellers in the city.

The council is in the process of looking for a suitable second site because the existing site at Pantyblwyd Road is full.

Local councils in Wales are obliged to provide adequate accommodation for gypsies and travellers, and a councillor-led task and finish group has reviewed 1,006 council-owned sites.

A consultation exercise on the proposed sites is due to start later this month.

But a meeting of the authority's cabinet was told earlier this month that an "agreement" not to create a second gypsy traveller site in Llansamlet could not be found.

Cabinet member for place, June Burtonshaw, said: "In 1986 West Glamorgan considered the location of a gypsy traveller site and based on documents I've seen there was not an agreement at that time preventing another gypsy traveller site in Llansamlet.

"I haven't been able to see anything in any of the documents."

The campaign group is inviting people opposed to a second site in Llansamlet to attend a meeting at the Manor Park Hotel in Clydach on Monday at 7pm.

Read more from South Wales Evening Post

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters
  • tannkerboy  |  November 16 2012, 6:30PM

    NOW NOW,ARE WE FORGETTING THE MUMBLES ,NOW THAT WILL BE A NICE PLACE FOR THEM,ALL THE RICH WOULD LOVE TO TAKE CARE OF THEM,GIVE LlANSAMLET A BRAKE, SEND THEM ALL TO SCOTLAND THERE'S PLENTY OF HILL'S FOR THEM TO ROME &GET LOST.

    |   5
  • Hadoken767676  |  November 16 2012, 5:56PM

    I would not be surprised if the council use the parc and ride one instead, maybe they think threatining residents with a WORSE site, will then make them less opposed to the one whre they seem to have allowed all the time with relatively little fuss. The psychology behind it is quite simple and no better than bullying. Also we should not forget that the council has ALREADY sold much of its land to EX Gypsies in the heol las and birchgrove areas, right next to this proposed camp which they have turned into shanty towns and use it to breed animals and treat them in a way which isnt even legal or humane to normal reasoning. And one of those "ex gypsies" mervin thomas is the one who is trying to appeal after being denied a sort of gypsy camp in drummau. The whole area has been let down by the council, bunch of idiots that wasted 80 million on an it project, or spent 37 million a sodding leisure centre than looks like it cost less than 5 million at best. Only in swansea.

    |   4
  • GSVale  |  November 15 2012, 9:40PM

    @Neathboy "Or even better why not make one big huge one" The problem is, they don't get on with each other. These so called travellers are supposed to believe in the same things in life ( During the Dale farm fiasco they claimed it was their religion ) but they can't stand each other. Why do think there are so many of them dotted around different parts of the enterprise park. The ones on the legal site ( behind ASDA ) have made it clear they do not want any other parking up anywhere near them. The semi-legal ones on the Park and ride site have barricaded themselves in and won't let any other so called travellers near them. The permanent illegal ones on Mallard Way seem to moving further and further apart and the rest around Llansamlet keep themselves as far apart as they can. When this next official site is ready, it will fill up overnight and we all know once they park up, they never move. So this time next year, we'll all be debating where the next (3ed) official site will be, the council will probably stick that one in Llansamlet as well.

    |   4
  • Hadoken323111  |  November 15 2012, 4:33PM

    It has to be the worse location ever, firstly, its on elevated land so its going to be widely visible for many all around. There are around 30 houses that directly back on to this field, which will lose at least 50% of their value EACH, these are not council houses, but nice houses worth close to £200,000 each, so already there are millions of pounds worth being lost, which in turn will cause a lot of resentment and animosity between those residents and the family of those resident. There are at least two sites within a 2 minute driving distance of this, not to mention the illegal ones. They only want to be around here because of the number of scrap metal places that have cropped up some of which knowingly deal in stolen metals. If the site goes here, you can expect some trouble of the vigilante kind, cos clearly being a decent citizen only guarantees you one thing these days.... Getting screwed over by the pathetic GVT and idiots at the local council, most of whom would not hack 2 minutes in the private sector as their incompetency would be exposed and they could not rely on a hierachy of other idiots to fascilliate it.

    |   9
  • cyclingnomad  |  November 15 2012, 2:13PM

    Neathboy234, I would say again that due to the fact that Swansea is a sizeable city and has many other wards that could accomodate a traveller site it's simply not fair or reasonable that Llansamlet support 2 sites. Also the residents of the 2 sites do not get on and would benefit from having the location further away.

    |   2
  • geoboy01  |  November 15 2012, 1:43PM

    why dont the gypsies go back to southern ireland for christmas,or even for a big fat wedding and just forget to come back?!?!

    |   4
  • rivergirl  |  November 15 2012, 1:42PM

    Thank you for your contribution Neathboy. I think it's time for your medication.

    |   5
  • Neathboy234  |  November 15 2012, 12:30PM

    As June Burtonshaw says just because they have got one doesn't mean they can't have another. Besides it would make sense to have the s sites close together. Or even better why not make one big huge one.

    |   -11
  • cyclingnomad  |  November 15 2012, 12:00PM

    Surely the most obvious argument regardless of any previous agreement is the simple fact that Llansamlet ALREADY has one legal and one illegal traveller site so how can it possibly be fair to be considered for yet another site in the ward!!! I'm sure the residents of Swansea west will not have to worry that the site will end up in their area... clearly Councellor Burtonshaw can see this glaringly obvious fact but chooses to not listen to the majority of the rsidents opposed to the site.

    |   2
  • rivergirl  |  November 15 2012, 11:32AM

    I can understand why Mrs Burtonshaw would take this stance. She lives in Cockett which is also shortlisted for a site. Somehow I think she will make sure that Llansamlet gets dumped on again.

    |   5

      YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

       
       

      MORE NEWS HEADLINES