Login Register

Hopkins in rich vein of form as he bags another five goals

By South Wales Evening Post  |  Posted: November 14, 2012

Comments (0)

MALTSTERS Sports eased into the third round of the Tony Nakonecznyj West Wales Intermediate Cup with a 9-0 defeat of Morriston Town.

They dominated Morriston Town with a superb display of football.

Ross Jelf put Maltsters on their way with the opener before being fouled inside the Town area, with Chris Rogers converting from the spot.

Jelf made it 3-0 early in the second half, before Rogers got Maltsters' fourth, again from the penalty spot when Jamie Hopkins was brought down.

Hopkins dusted himself down and bagged the next five goals to follow on from his six last weekend.

Maltsters Sports : I. Davies, C. Wright, A. Manning, R. Hines, C. Rogers, J. Norman, L. Hughes, B. Jones, D. Thomas, R. Jelf, J. Hopkins. Subs: D. Wallace, C. Davies, R. Jenkins.

South Gower's dreams of another visit to the Liberty Stadium were killed off when they were beaten 3-2 at home by Onllwyn.

Cwmfelin Press marched into the next round with a 9-2 defeat of Bryn Rovers.

It was a remarkable match that saw Bryn use four different goalkeepers.

Press went 1-0 up when Matthew Tregembo headed home a Liam Lynch cross. Ashleigh Dennis missed a great opportunity to make it 2-0, before Bryn found some momentum to make it 2-1 before the interval.

Dean Walsh headed home early in the second half before a 25-minute delay due to an injury to Bryn's keeper put the completion of the match in serious doubt.

Dennis made it 3-2, before Bryn scored an own goal to make it 4-2 to Press, which prompted another change of goalkeeper.

Lee McManus was introduced and scored a hat-trick within ten minutes, then Tregembo helped himself to a brace of goals to complete his own hat-trick.

Their victory means they have scored 17 goals in two West Wales Cup ties this season.

Cwmfelin Press : M. Thompson, A. Kift, R. Morgan, D. Walsh, R. Clarke, R. Lynch, R. Gay, R. Brown, A. Dennis, M. Tregembo, L. Lynch. Subs: L. McManus, S. Frayne, B. Edwards.

Team Swansea reached round three with a 5-1 defeat of Hafod Rangers.

The game saw Rob Donald handed his first start and Dan Jose, after completing his transfer from Dinas Powys, deputise at right-back.

A slight reshuffle of the Team Swansea line-up meant Dave Boyle started up front.

Hafod started brightly and were knocking the ball around well and it was the home team who struck first when the ball was poked into the top corner.

But Team Swansea began to get on top with Jon Roberts and Boyle looking dangerous.

The university team piled on the pressure and won a corner when Daniel Chalk's cross was blocked.

His delivery was good and the ball dropped kindly for Will Sparkes at the edge of the box and he struck a superb volley into the bottom corner.

After 25 minutes Roberts drove towards the Hafod goal. The midfielder was brought down and his thundering free-kick gave Team Swansea the lead for the first time in the match from 25 yards out.

They extended their lead after the break when a Rob Donald clearance found its way to Roberts, who shrugged off the Hafod centre-backs before knocking it past the goalkeeper.

The fourth came when a superb ball was flicked on via Boyle and stroked home by Aidan Dauncey from seven yards out.

Josh Allard and Steve Weston entered the fray late on and helped see Team Swansea to victory.

There was one more goal in the game and it went to debutant Tristan Allen after a ball played across the box by man of the match Thomas Wills.

Read more from South Wales Evening Post

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters