Login Register

Controversial scrap yard homes plan given go ahead

By South Wales Evening Post  |  Posted: April 25, 2014

By Geraint Thomas / geraint.thomas@swwmedia.co.uk / @ThomasTheNews

The safety of Alltwen Primary School pupils has been raised, in light of increased traffic from the new development.

The safety of Alltwen Primary School pupils has been raised, in light of increased traffic from the new development.

Comments (0)

A CONTROVERSIAL new housing development in the Swansea Valley has been given the go ahead.

Members of Neath Port Talbot's planning control committee voted to allow Redrow Homes to build 56 new houses on a scrap metal yard at the Graig Yr Awel industrial estate in Alltwen, near Pontardawe, despite nearly 50 letters of objection from existing residents.

Concerns had been raised over increased traffic, loss of woodland resulting in flooding and a strain on the sewage system.

The safety of pupils accessing nearby Alltwen Primary School was also questioned in the light of increased traffic brought about by the development.

Related content

Planning offers did not agree with the objections, however, and recommend the plans for approval saying that it would remove an "existing bad neighbour" through replacing the scrap yard.

Alltwen ward councillor David Evans, who has campaigned against the development for two years, said that it was a "disturbing" outcome and he vowed that he and the majority of the community would continue to oppose the development.

"As far as I'm concerned we are going to fight it," he said, before adding that he had taken legal advice on the matter.

Cilybebyll Community Council has also complained that it did not have enough time to consider revised plans for the project.

Read more from South Wales Evening Post

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES