Login Register

Grandson blew stolen £3,000 on party week

By South Wales Evening Post  |  Posted: October 15, 2012

A CALLOUS burglar who stole more than £3,000 from his grandparents while they were on holiday blew the money on a "party week".

Swansea Magistrates' Court heard Jamie Pearson, 22, spent the stolen £3,350 on a week of drinking and shopping.

Pearson had already been banned from visiting the Treboeth home of his grandparents, Chris and Marie Pearson, after previously stealing from them.

While they were on holiday from September 7 to 19, he went to their neighbours' home and asked to borrow a spare key to the property. He then went into the house and into the safe, taking a purse containing £100 and £50 from a tin in their kitchen.

The couple later discovered he had also taken a cash card and withdrawn £3,200 from cash machines across Swansea and the South West of England.

He later told police he had used his grandparents' savings for a "week-long party splurge", spending his stolen spoils on clothes, hotels and alcohol.

In a cruel twist, once they had returned from holiday and discovered the first burglary, he then went to their home in Lloyd Road a second time and, seeing their car was not there, he went inside again.

This time he took two bottles of vodka which his grandparents had brought back from holiday.

Anwen Evans, prosecuting, said in his interview, Pearson admitted burgling the house.

"He said he got the key and then went inside the house with two friends. He admitted stealing the money and the card and making transactions. He said he went on a week-long party splurge with his friend with the stolen money," she added.

Pearson, of Pengors Road, Llangyfelach, admitted charges of burglary and theft through tears. He will also be sentenced for taking a vehicle without consent and driving with no insurance or licence.

Magistrates said the matters were so serious Pearson would have to be sentenced at crown court, but agreed to grant him conditional bail. He will be sentenced at Swansea Crown Court on November 26.

Read more from South Wales Evening Post