Login Register

Forget the new deal, can you sign here please?

By South Wales Evening Post  |  Posted: March 11, 2013

lucky break? Six-year-old Sam Price, who missed watching the Swans' Capital One Cup final against Bradford on television after breaking his arm playing at Singleton Park, gets Swans boss Michael Laudrup to add his signature to his cast. SWRM20130308E-002_C

Comments (0)

SWANS-MAD Sam Price couldn't believe his bad luck when he missed watching his team's Capital One Cup final glory after breaking his arm.

The six-year-old was laid up on a hospital bed in Morriston Hospital as the Swans won a stunning 5-0 victory against Bradford at Wembley.

His day was ruined after he fell off a climbing frame while playing with his younger brother Louie, three, in Swansea's Singleton Park.

But after Fiona, 38, of Caswell, sent a photo of Sam in his Swans kit at hospital to the club they immediately got back in touch and offered him the chance to meet his heroes along with Swans manager Michael Laudrup.

Ms Price said: "It was just amazing.

"Sam met Michael Laudrup and his favourite player Michu.

"I took a picture of both the boys with Michu and they met all the players apart from Chico.

"They signed a ball for him as well — he's a very lucky boy."

She added: "He told his friends he was going and they thought 'yeah, yeah'.

"He's since been into school to show all the pupils he had his cast signed. He's already saying, 'mummy can I keep it'.

"All the players were really sweet with him, they were ruffling his hair and giving him high fives.

"They were about to get on a bus to go to West Brom when we met them."

Sam went along on the Liberty Stadium visit with his mum Fiona, 38, who runs her own business, along with her husband Rich, also 38, and Sam's nine-year-old brother Ollie.

Mrs Price said Sam was looking forward to showing his photos to his school friends at Newton Primary School.

"We are going to print the photos off and take them into school today," she added.

Match day was not only ruined for Sam but also his dad as Mr Price had a ticket for the game and had to be called back from Wembley as it was feared the youngster could have faced an operation.

Mrs Price said: "Rich was walking into Wembley Stadium when the accident happened.

"They were talking about operating on Sam and I told Rich he would have to come home as I thought I would also have to stay in hospital overnight.

"Rich came home at half-time — he was the only Swans fan walking out of the stadium.

"They didn't need to put pins in, the hospital staff straightened his arm while he was having gas and air — he was just really brave. He missed the game completely, the porters kept coming in to give him updates."

Sam will be in plaster for five weeks.

Read more from South Wales Evening Post

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters