Login Register

Two jailed after beating Briton Ferry man over the head with a chair

By This is SouthWales  |  Posted: September 17, 2010

Varinder Sanghera (left) and Interdeep Sidhu, who have both been jailed for a vicious assault on a Briton Ferry man.

​A MAN was injured when two intruders kicked their way into a house in Briton Ferry and beat him over the head with a chair.

Victim Daniel Fairbrother was also punched, kicked and stamped on in the savage assault, a judge was told. The violent incident was described (Wednesday September 16) when Mr Fairbrother’s attackers, Varinder Sanghera and Interdeep Sidhu, were both jailed for four years.

Sanghera, 30, of Briton Ferry Road, Neath, and Sidhu, 24, of Pentrechwyth Road, Swansea, pleaded guilty at Swansea Crown Court to joint offences of aggravated burglary and unlawful wounding.

Also sentenced was a co-defendant, Zahed Mohammed, who arrived at the attack scene in possession of an “improvised mace” — a sock containing a stone or golf ball.

Mohammed, 27, of Aberdyberthi Street, Hafod, Swansea, received a suspended prison term after admitting having an offensive weapon in a public place. Paul Hobson, prosecuting, said that in February this year Sanghera was going out with a woman called Kadie Jones.

But previously Miss Jones had been in a relationship with a man called Steven Alan Williams and Sanghera felt extremely hostile towards him.

Mr Hobson said that on February 21 Sanghera and Sidhu went to a house in Neath Road, Briton Ferry, looking for Mr Williams. There they spoke to a friend of Mr Williams’s, Daniel Fairbrother, who recognised Sanghera as Miss Jones’s new boyfriend and noticed that Sidhu was armed with a knife.

Sanghera and Sidhu left after Mr Fairbrother told them Mr Williams was not at the address.

But a short time later, the pair returned and kicked the front door in. Sanghera and Sidhu found Mr Fairbrother upstairs and punched him repeatedly, said Mr Hobson.

Mr Fairbrother was then beaten over the head with a chair before falling to the floor and being kicked and stamped on.

A short time earlier, Sidhu had made a phone call to Mohammed — and CCTV footage from a nearby camera showed the latter entering the house after removing an improvised mace from the boot of his car.

Mr Hobson said that, after the defendants fled, neighbours raised the alarm and Mr Fairbrother was rushed to hospital.

He needed stitches in a scalp wound and was also treated for facial bruising and swelling.
Francis Jones, for Sanghera, told the court: “He recognises his actions were completely stupid and he is full of remorse for what happened.”

John Hipkin accepted that his client, Sidhu, had “gone along in the full knowledge of what was intended”. Mark Spackman said that although Mohammed had been armed at the scene, he had only gone there after Sidhu had asked him for a lift.

Judge Paul Thomas QC, jailing Sanghera and Sidhu, said they had committed serious offences involving a merciless attack on a totally innocent man.

The judge said in the case of Mohammed there did not need to be immediate imprisonment — and he was made the subject of a six-month sentence, suspended for a year. He must also carry out 150 hours’ unpaid community work.


Read more from South Wales Evening Post