Login Register

Defences on top in exciting clash

By South Wales Evening Post  |  Posted: February 09, 2013

Comments (0)

FOR the second week running, Treboeth United Under-10s and Union Rangers played a great game of football.

The keepers were on top form throughout. Union's keeper was busier with a number of good saves, while Nick Tooze stood strong to block several one-on-ones.

Treboeth lost the influential AJ Storton within the first minute due to a back injury, but his replacement Ashley Hall played well. Zak Connor and Andrew Toulcher created clear chances but could not find the net.

In the second half Union made a substitution and his strong runs created problems for Treboeth's defence.

Coby Denton, Chaquile Collins and the returning Tito Anderson dealt with these until late on when a through ball ended with a forward chipping into the net.

The final minutes saw Connor, Anderson and Toulcher trying desperately to equalise, but their efforts were in vain with Union winning 1-0.

The second game saw Treboeth take on Dunvant Yellows, with the game ending goalless.

Treboeth made a number of changes, with several players returning from the previous week.

This was a good contest with Dunvant having chances on the break and from corners.

Jez Norton Jones and Kyle Steel made important clearances, while Tooze was again busy but managed to stop everything thrown at him.

In the second half Treboeth had a host of chances but a combination of bad luck and good keeping kept the score level.

Anderson made several runs and shots, Ethan Goatley just failed to connect at the far post and substitute Storton was unlucky with some long-range efforts.

Brandon Williams ran through late on and beat the keeper with a chip, only to see the ball go inches past the post.

Wings Bradley Morgan and Ethan Goatley put in some dangerous crosses but the score remained goalless.

In the final game, Treboeth took on Sketty Albion Blues and took an early lead with Connor running on to a through ball from midfield and smashing home at the second attempt.

Minutes later, a similar through ball from Storton again saw Connor run on to it. The shot was blocked but Toulcher was quick to pounce and put the ball over the line to double the advantage.

Collins and Hall combined well with Collins shooting just wide, then the Sketty keeper stopped a stinging drive from Storton with his legs.

At the end of the half, Toulcher was put clear from a good pass by Denton and his shot squirmed underneath the keeper.

The second half became the Tito Anderson show. He played as a holding midfielder but was able to make a number of forward runs and went close on three occasions.

He finally got his reward with another surge into the box and a fine finish to make it 4-0.

Tooze was a little busier in the closing stages but handled any shots with ease. Bradley Morgan and Ethan Goatley got forward from midfield and tracked back to help snuff out any Sketty attacks.

The Sketty keeper made some good saves towards the end to keep the score down but Treboeth ran out comfortable winners.

SA1 Stars and Gorseinon Boys Club fought out a 1-1 draw.

After several weeks of inactivity, Stars were quickly back into the groove against a dangerous side.

The first chance of the game fell to Aaron Davies after being set up by Curtis Davies, only to pull his shot wide.

The opening goal came when a cross into the box by Adam Griffiths was swept home in fine fashion by Aaron Davies.

With Stars easing off, Gorseinon pressed forward and Stars old boy Jordan Thomas broke through the defence only to see his shot hit the post, roll across the line and be cleared to safety.

Some wasteful finishing saw the Stars unable to stretch their lead and Gorseinon took full advantage, with the ball crossed into the box and looping into the net over the despairing Jarod Lake in goal.

In their next game, Stars beat Treboeth 5-0.

Stars were straight on the attack and after some great wing play by Robbie Dyer, Billy Wright poked home the cross.

Adam Griffiths then burst through after winning possession in midfield and made no mistake with his finish. Griffiths then added his second of the game after good work by Curtis Davies.

More pressure in the second half resulted in Dylan Thomas finishing well after great play by Curtis Davies.

Jacob Prins then unleashed a fierce drive from distance, only to see his shot cannon off the post, but Aaron Davies was on hand to slot home the rebound.

Treboeth never gave up battling and continually pressed the Stars.

Stars rounded off their day with a 4-0 defeat of St Joseph's.

Curtis Davies opened the scoring when he found himself through on goal and dispatched the ball beyond the dive of the advancing keeper.

Both sides raised their intensity after the break and a Stars attack ended with Billy Wright sweeping home after a good passing move.

Wright soon claimed his second goal following a scramble in the box.

The final goal came after a corner was driven in by Adam Griffiths and a thumping header was dispatched into the roof of the net by Curtis Davies, who was the Stars' stand-out performer, but was ably assisted by the mercurial Adam Griffiths and Robbie Dyer.

Read more from South Wales Evening Post

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters