Surrounded by flowers and clasping a card from The Queen, Betty Hughes savoured that special centenary feeling.
Mrs Hughes was born at 9 Argo Terrace, Landore — now renamed as part of Pwll Street — and was the youngest of the four surviving children of David and Edith Rees.
Brought up in a family whose first language was Welsh, Betty spoke very little English until she became a pupil at Brynhyfryd School.
On leaving school at the age of 14 she became a sales assistant in the ladies shoe department of the Co-operative store, opposite Mount Pleasant Chapel on what was then known as Gower Street, which became part of The Kingsway. Her weekly hours included a 9am to 9pm shift on Saturdays.
In 1934, she married Ron Hughes, an ATC electrician on Great Western Railway.
Three years later the couple had two daughters and settled into family life in Treboeth. As a family, they attended Salim Baptist Church, Landore, where Betty became active in the Baptist Women's League and went on to serve as secretary for 50 years for the league's meetings. She was also organist at Salim for many years.
Widowed in 1980, and despite being registered blind, Betty continued to live at Brynawel Crescent until 2007 when she moved to Hengoed Court Care Home in Winch Wen.