Login Register
 °

Campaigners want 10,000 to oppose travellers site bid

By South Wales Evening Post  |  Posted: November 21, 2012

By Liz Perkins

Comments (0)

CAMPAIGNERS are looking to raise a 10,000-name petition in the fight to block a second travellers' site in Llansamlet.

They are rallying residents to go out and collect as many signatures as they can in opposition to what they believe is a new travellers' site being considered for Peniel Green Road.

Llansamlet already has one permanent site along with one family camped temporarily on the Swansea Vale park and ride.

Earlier this year it was revealed Swansea Council was looking at five potential sites to meet its legal obligation to offer "adequate provision" for travellers.

The other sites are the old greyhound stadium, Cockett; the rear of Parc Melyn Mynach and the proposed cemetery, both in Gorseinon; and Milford Way in Penderry.

James Myles, from the Llansamlet Against a Second Traveller Site campaign group, said he hoped people would rally around to help the campaign result in a successful conclusion.

He made the call at the Manor Park Country House Hotel meeting in Clydach, which was attended by 250 people.

Mr Myles said: "We need the help of everyone across the Llansamlet ward. The people of Penlan have put together a 1,000 name petition opposing the travellers site in Penderry.

"We want to blow that petition out of the water — we want to send a message to our rival wards that whatever petition we put together will have a demoralising effect on our rival wards."

He said it was important to get people out in force collecting names towards the mammoth petition.

"If most of us in this room were prepared to get involved we could easily bring in a petition of 10,000."

They have been leafleting homes in the Llansamlet area for the last eight weeks to raise awareness of the campaign.

But Labour Party member Bob Clay said he did not believe there should be a conflict between different wards, although it was important to raise as many signatures as possible. He said: "We need to have a massive petition — but I don't think it's a competition with Penderry."

During the meeting claims were further made that the former West Glamorgan County Council had formulised what became known as the West Glamorgan Agreement, meaning there would not be another travellers' site in the Llansamlet area. But a Swansea Council meeting was previously told there was no record of the agreement.

A total of £600 was raised towards the campaign before the two hour meeting was over.

Llansamlet Councillor Uta Clay said: "This campaign is not an anti-traveller campaign, it's a campaign against a second traveller site in Llansamlet."

Read more from South Wales Evening Post

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters
  • Einon  |  December 14 2012, 9:29PM

    When all this is finally decided, and whether you agree with these sites or not, one thing will be absolutely certain. All these proposed sites are in Labour Party wards, and after all the election promises, one of these communities will be sold down the river by Labour, who are playing divide and rule with communities across Swansea.

    |   1
  • SWEPuser001  |  November 22 2012, 7:18AM

    I agree. But it's not only designated sites that are the problem. Just as big a problem is the fact that these people simply move in anywhere they like. I posted on here recently about 'so-called' travellers who have taken over the end of Mallard Way in Swansea Vale, quite close to the 'family' (BIG FAMILY!!!) who have taken over the park and ride. And last Sunday...another lot on the parking areas etc by City Link in Olympus Court, in the same general area. It seems they can just move in and take over, and nobody does anything about it! Their 'human right' is it??? What about OUR human rights?

    |   10
  • GSVale  |  November 21 2012, 9:02PM

    @hoppsnskips "After using millions of pounds in government money on creating Swansea Vale, the council now want to dump a gypsy site at its entrance. I don't remember this being mentioned at the last election." I agree it would be a disaster. I Will post here again what I posted in the other thread titled "Traveller site pledge 'was given'" http://tinyurl.com/avx38er Unfortunately I could not make it to the last meeting due to work commitments I have been at the previous ones and the impression I always get is, there is nothing going to stop the council putting it in Llansamlet. If you go on the Swansea vale website they have finally updated it with the new maps and proposals for the area. I have made a little side by side map showing the new proposals for the Swansea Vale area and the location of the proposed "so called travellers site" Map on link below http://tinyurl.com/cflfuc4 The PDF is available on the Swansea Vale website http://tinyurl.com/c8q4a5c The map of the proposed site was borrowed from the LA2TS web site http://tinyurl.com/d6vutvy In the PDF the areas marked PG1,2,3 are detailed as follows PG.1 Safeguard the provision of a Safe Route to Work strategic footpath and cycle route through PG1 to connect Tregof Village to Llansamlet Railway Station. Who is ever going to want to walk through or near a "so called traveller" site. PG.2 Capitalise on accessibility to the M4 in the design, layout and orientation of commercial development, whilst also reflecting the need to deliver access by sustainable modes. What commercial site is ever going to want to set up next to a bunch of thieves. PG.3 Ensure that residential development is designed to meet a minimum of Code for Sustainable Homes Level 3 and integrates low and zero carbon technologies as appropriate. Zero Carbon, guess the "so called travellers" creating clouds of black polluting smoke by burning insulation off on stolen cables may impact on this.

    |   14
  • hobbles  |  November 21 2012, 5:09PM

    Great attitude from seasolder this is the approach we should all take otherwise Swansea will become a dumping ground for every other city problem.

    |   13
  • seasolder  |  November 21 2012, 4:21PM

    Do not fight against each other, the petition should be expanded to include all Swansea people. This is a fight to save Swansea against people who just come to abuse our city.

    |   10
  • seasolder  |  November 21 2012, 4:15PM

    Do not fight against each other. expand the petition. This should be in everyones interest to save Swansea from people who just abuse our city.

    |   11
  • hoppsnskips  |  November 21 2012, 12:44PM

    After using millions of pounds in government money on creating Swansea Vale, the council now want to dump a gypsy site at its entrance. I dont remember this being mentioned at the last election. If anything, the Labour people were saying the exact opposite in their leaflet. I think it is time for the Welsh Assembly to intervene and talk some sense into the people running Swansea Council.

    |   15
  • moogman  |  November 21 2012, 12:18PM

    I went along and was impressed by a well organised meeting with informed comments from speakers. It is disgraceful that Swansea council thinks it can dump a traveller camp on such a prime location. One gentleman described it as the gateway to Swansea Vale. What kind of impression would this give to visitors.

    |   13

      YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

       
       
       

      MORE NEWS HEADLINES