Login Register

Birchgrove give Penlan a surprise

By South Wales Evening Post  |  Posted: October 06, 2012

Comments (0)

THE Birchgrove Colts v Penlan Colts game at under-13 level is always a great game to watch.

Last Saturday both teams were coming into the match in good form, with Penlan sitting joint top of the league and scoring freely.

The game started with great pace and good counter-attacking football from both teams.

Birchgrove took the lead through Liam North following a lovely passing move from right to left.

They doubled their lead, taking advantage of a cleared corner that fell to defender Robert Davies, who hit a 20-yard looping shot past the keeper.

Birchgrove stand-in goalkeeper Ryan Mann was kept busy throughout the match by Penlan's in-form striker Liam Scott.

However, it was Birchgrove who struck the next goal following a foul on Ryan Hughes-Whelan in the area, Hughes-Whelan then slotting home from the penalty spot.

Shortly before the break Penlan pulled one back through debutant winger Liam Reynolds to make it 3-1.

The second half started as the first did, with end-to-end play from both teams and plenty of chances not taken.

Quick break

Following another quick break through the middle, Birchgrove increased their lead further, striker Nathan Thomas getting the goal.

Penlan would have scored a second had it not been for a fingertip save by Ryan Mann, who had been in great form all match.

The result was settled with a few minutes left. North put in another great break before putting through Hughes-Whelan, who got his brace to make it 5-1.

At under-10 level, Treboeth United and Llangyfelach Colts played out a tight 1-1 draw in the first game of the day.

Defences were in control until the last minute of the first half when Zak Connor went on a solo run on the right before floating his cross-shot into the far corner of the Llangyfelach net.

Both sides continued to press in the second half, but defences stood firm until late in the match when Llangyfelach scrambled home an equaliser.

The next game saw Treboeth take on Plough White.

The teams met just two weeks earlier, Plough easily winning 6-0.

This time the game was closer, with Treboeth creating several chances through AJ Storton, Jamie Gibbs and Zak Connor.

Plough then moved up a gear to take a two-goal lead through good passing play. Tito Anderson made surges from defence and came close, but Plough then exposed gaps at the back to fire home a third, ending the contest 3-0.


In the final game of the day Treboeth spent most of the game attacking the Mumbles goal, with Andrew Toulcher, AJ Storton, Chaquile Collins and Jamie Gibbs all coming close.

However, early in the second half Mumbles capitalised on a rare goalkeeping error to score with a fine lobbed finish.

Again, Tito Anderson led from the back creating openings, but an equaliser did not come. Mumbles survived a last-ditch run and shot from Jamie Gibbs to hold on for a 1-0 win.

On Sunday, Treboeth Under-10s took part in the 30th anniversary Margam Youth Club tournament.

A depleted squad performed very well. The first game was a narrow 1-0 loss to a skilful Port Talbot team. Tito Anderson carried on his fine defensive form, with Chaquile Collins and Brandon Williams playing out of position to partner him.

Game two in the group pitched Treboeth against Porthcawl, with the latter winning 3-0.

The next game saw Tito Anderson take the keeper gloves and regular goalie Nick Tooze playing as central defender. An assured display from both seemed to spark life into the team.

A spell of attacking play culminated with AJ Storton heading home a Jamie Gibbs corner before firing in another from close range. Nick Tooze then unleashed a shot from inside his own half which hit the back of the net, before AJ Storton completed the 4-0 rout and his hat-trick with a curling shot.

The final game in wintry conditions saw Treboeth carry on where they had left off. Afan Lido Colts could not contain the speed and skill of Zak Connor, Jamie Gibbs and AJ Storton. Brandon Williams, playing in his third position of the afternoon, closed down the opposition well.

Chaquile Collins and Nick Tooze broke up any attacks and Tito Anderson held firm in goal.

The goals flowed freely again, with Jamie Gibbs netting a deserved hat-trick. The prolific AJ Storton notched his fourth of the day and Treboeth ran out four-goal victors for the second game in a row.

This was a well-run competition and thanks go to Margam Youth for organising the day in celebration of their 30th anniversary.

Brynawel continued their unbeaten run by beating St Joseph's Green 3-0 thanks to goals from Jac Ace and two from Billy Thomas.

Brynawel then played a very good Mumbles Albion side who gave them their toughest game to date. Brynawel did finish on top 2-1, the goals coming from Jack Austin and Sam Evans.

In the third game Brynawel beat Treboeth Claret 2-0. Sam Evans and Kimberly Hughes were on target.

Brynawel: Shay Nicholson, Sam Evans, Kimberly Hughes, Jack Austin, Jac Ace, Billy Thomas

SA1 Stars produced another three great results last weekend. They came from behind in their first game to earn a draw against Llangyfelach, with Curtis Davies getting the goal from a Jacob Prins cross.

Up next was West End. Joel Murnieks opened the scoring with a goal of the season contender. Dylan Thomas netted the second and third, with Jacob Prins rounding off the scoring to make it 4-1. The third game finished 6-1 against Birchgrove Juniors.

Curtis Davies was again outstanding, setting up four goals. Dylan Thomas grabbed two, while Jacob Prins, Callum O'Driscoll, Joel Murnieks and Billy Wright celebrated one apiece.

Bradley Parry assisted a couple of goals and Callum Evans was a rock at the back.

Read more from South Wales Evening Post

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters