STAFF at Swansea's RSPCA centre are urging people to consider the dangers of Chinese or sky lanterns ahead of New Year's Eve.
Sally Hyman of Llys Nini said: "People just don't understand the danger posed to people, property and animals. Basically they are pots of burning wax and wire set to drift uncontrollably in the air.
"There are several cases of people being burned by the dripping wax and there are also incidents of buildings being set alight, including a huge fire at a recycling factory.
"Obviously as an animal welfare organisation Llys Nini is also concerned about the harm these lanterns can do to animals, pets, farm live stock and wildlife.
"We have even found bits of wire and bamboo from burned out lanterns in our wildlife reserve in Penllergaer. Burning wax or wire from the lanterns can result in injuries that lead to suffering and a slow painful death."