Login Register

Angry Swansea reveller had 'lost all self control'

By South Wales Evening Post  |  Posted: November 20, 2012

Swansea Magistrates Court

Comments (0)

A DRUNK man who stumbled into the path of a car being driven by an off-duty police officer charged towards him, before assaulting him and damaging his mobile phone.

Anthony John, 28, had been at an all-night party and drunk a litre of vodka before he stumbled from the pavement onto Neath Road, Landore, and kicked a parked car.

Sergeant Philip Hamer was driving his Ford Fiesta home from a night shift when he saw John around 100 yards away. He watched John stumble and kick the car. He described John as looking "agitated".

The officer slowed his car down to 20mph and watched as John kicked the car.

Andrew Smith, prosecuting at Swansea Magistrates' Court, said the officer decided to stop to arrest him.

As Sergeant Hamer got out of his car, he watched John wave his arms around and thought he was going to "attack him".

John continued to approach him and as the officer closed his car door, John had reached him and threw a punch, which did not connect with the officer. The officer said the pair began struggling despite Sergeant Hamer telling him to calm down and his only choice was to "bear hug" John to restrain him. Sergeant Hamer later described him as: "an angry man who lost all self control".

As other officers arrived, Sgt Hamer tried to get his phone out, and John caused it to fall to the floor and the screen smashed.

He then sat down on the pavement and appeared to calm down but later got up and continued his attack.

The officer was left with injuries to two fingers and pain to his groin.

Simon Howell, representing John, said his client was upset because his girlfriend had threatened to stop his contact with their 5-month-old daughter.

John has 10 previous convictions and was found guilty of these charges of assaulting a police officer and criminal damage in his absence, after he failed to attend for trial.

Judge Bodfan Jenkins said it was a "serious incident" before jailing John, of Llanllienwen Close, Cymwrhydyceirw, for four months.

Read more from South Wales Evening Post

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters