Login Register

200 people gather at funeral for Trooper Robert Griffiths who was found dead in Bishopston

By PaulTurner555  |  Posted: January 18, 2013


Comments (0)

AROUND 200 people gathered to pay their respects at the funeral for Trooper Robert Griffiths who was found dead at his Bishopston home just after Christmas.

There was a private cremation held ahead of a service of celebration and thanksgiving for the soldier at the Waterfront Community Church in SA1.

Former colleagues of the sports-loving 24-year-old were apparent at the SA1 church with a mini-bus full of people in uniform arriving.

There were also high ranking officers along with a large number of family members and freinds.

Robert was tragically discovered by his Morriston Hospital consultant pathologist dad Paul Griffiths hanged in the bedroom of his Bishopston home on Saturday, December 29.

Mr Griffiths said that following his beloved son's death the family's world had been shattered, especially as they had enjoyed such a "wonderful" Christmas together.

He previously said: "It's devastating, absolutely devastating.

"When he came home, normally what he would do is chill.

"It was pretty full-on in the Army.

"When he came home, he had his room in the attic where he had his computer and a small gym — he kept in very good shape.

"He would be up there. He used to read a lot as well. It was nice for him to have some space to himself."

Mr Griffiths added: "He went to see his cousins in Gloucester and then they came here for Christmas. It was a wonderful Christmas. We really enjoyed it."

Robert's physiotherapist mum Mary Griffiths flew out to Switzerland the day before her son's death.

Minutes after Mr Griffiths found his son's body he learned that his wife was going to be operated on after breaking her leg. 

He said the family was left "absolutely reeling".

Robert, who went out to Helmand Province in October, 2011, and loved army life, also leaves brothers Tom, 23, James, 20, and 18-year-old David.

He loved sport, including football, surfing, rock-climbing, skiing and snow-boarding.

He attended school in Bishopston, college in Gorseinon, and university in Birmingham, where he studied mechanical engineering.

But, said his family, he knew his heart was in soldiering, which had been his passion since joining the Army Cadets in West Cross at the age of 13.

Shortly after he was deployed to Afghanistan he survived an IED attack on his light tank but was back on patrol within 48 hours.

Donations can be made in his memory to the Royal British Legion or Help for Heroes c/o William Pressdee Funeral Directors, 1-2 Stanley Street, Mumbles, SA3 4NE.

Read more from South Wales Evening Post

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters