Login Register

20-year-old admits second sex attack in a year in Carmarthen

By South Wales Evening Post  |  Posted: December 15, 2012

Swansea Crown Court

A 20-YEAR-OLD sexually assaulted a teenager in broad daylight — less than a year after he subjected another woman to an almost identical attack.

Daniel Keith James attacked the 14-year-old girl at 2.30pm on August 28 as she walked through Carmarthen.

As she made her way through a subway towards McDonalds, the victim texted a friend and said James looked "freaky".

As she passed, he grabbed her shoulders and forcefully pushed her to the floor.

James stood over her as she lay on her side and as he held one of her shoulders, he pulled his penis from his trousers.

She struggled and shouted but James put his hand over her mouth to silence her, Swansea Crown Court heard.

The brave teenager then bit his fingers to try to make her escape. She eventually ran away and raised the alarm by texting her friend, who told police.

The court was told James had been at an appointment with his probation officer, working on a sex offender's requirement, imposed as part of a community order for an almost identical attack 11 months before.

James, who admitted sexual assault and exposure, told police: "I need help".

In September 2011 at around 12.30pm he approached a 27-year-old woman as she walked along the Gwendraeth Valley Railway line.

James rode past her on a motorbike and the woman became suspicious and began walking away. James then exposed himself to her and shouted: "Do you want a bit? How about some of this?"

She began to run, putting a key between her fingers, fearing he would attack her.

James then grabbed her by her shoulders before she shouted for help. He then moved away, but fearing she could not outrun his bike, she ran and hid in a ditch — only running home, barefoot, once she had heard the bike leave.

The court was told both victims were now too frightened to go out alone and both believed they would be raped.

Judge Keith Thomas said James had a pattern of targeting lone females.

Frank Phillips, representing James, said his client had been sniffing glue and petrol.

"He wasn't under the influence of anything during this latest incident. It seems to be a spur of the moment attack," added Mr Phillips.

Judge Thomas imposed a total term of 26 months.

He revoked the original community order, imposed for sexual assault and exposure, and imposed a 10-month term.

A consecutive term of 16 months was added for the latest assault.

Read more from South Wales Evening Post